Buddy obligations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is a TDM? I've not seen that acronym before. Terrible Dive Master? Tiny Dive Master? I'm guessing... I assume you don't mean Time Division Multiplexor, which is the only way I've seen that acronym used before.

What is a TDM? I've not seen that acronym before. Terrible Dive Master? Tiny Dive Master? I'm guessing... I assume you don't mean Time Division Multiplexor, which is the only way I've seen that acronym used before.

Trainee Dive Master possibly?

You wanted an attentive and loyal dog for a buddy, and got a skittish (or snobbish) runaway cat, who wouldn't let you get close, much less approach you. It happens. You did the best you could, and sought help.

I've had almost universally good insta-buddies, but now and then there's one I won't follow. To me, a "lost" buddy is one thing, a "runaway buddy" something else indeed.

Nice thing about pickup buddies, you learn when things go well and learn even more when they don't--the result is "experience" and you acquired some that day, a good thing ultimately..

"What are my obligations as a buddy in a situation like this?"......IMO, None-------after the "emulating an anchor" part.....I'd have buddied up with the DM & not worried 'your buddy'--after watching the rock sink............

I assumed it was ``Trailing Dive Master" but I could be wrong. Like in a class where a second DM follows behind to help any stragglers. Also simplifies assisting and managing a group. Also sometimes referred to as the tailgunner position.

We call them DMT (Divemaster in Training). At least, I think that's what he meant.

I'm with Bob. When you agree to be buddies, both sides have an obligation. You attempted to fulfill yours and were deliberately thwarted. At that point, I'd wave goodbye to the "buddy" and go to the group. I would also refuse to dive with that person again.

I am an almost fanatic believer in team diving . . . but you need at least two people to have a team.

This is all bull, there are no buddy obligations in real life. Everyone dives solo but close to each other. Some people are just too stubborn to admit it. If another person sees fit to be helpful or watchful, or you choose to be, then it is a win-win. Just don't bet the farm. Most of all, rely on yourself first!

I don't understand why you just didn't "buddy" the DM underwater in that case. Should have had just moved closer to DM and forgot about the chase and games. On the surface you'd excuse yourself about slowing the buddy down and opt out for a new buddy. Buddy system is very fluid.

This is all bull, there are no buddy obligations in real life. Everyone dives solo but close to each other. If another person sees fit to be helpful or watchful, or you choose to be, then it is a win-win. Just don't bet the farm. Most of all, rely on yourself first!

I don't understand why you just didn't "buddy" the DM underwater in that case. Should have had just moved closer to DM and forgot about the chase and games. On the surface you'd excuse yourself about slowing the buddy down and opt out for a new buddy. Buddy system is very fluid.

The world is constantly changing and you may be right but on the other hand who knows. Here is an english case where he was not held responsible. Hate to think what it cost to be not responsible.

Divers in court - Divernet

So far all the answers you have received reflect an American point of view within American legal standards. You live in Australia. There is a difference.

I suggest you go the Forum titled Scuba-related Court cases and do a search using the name "Watson." You will find a host of threads discussing the legal obligations buddy's have for each other under Australian laws.

As a quick summary, a man named Gabe Watson went diving on his honeymoon with his new wife, Tina. On their first dive of the trip, she had a problem, and he was unable to rescue her. There were accusations based on false reports that he murdered her, but later expert analysis of the true facts indicated that his attempt to save her was simply incompetent. Under the laws of most of the world, that would have been the end of it--he had no legal obligation to perform a competent rescue.

But this happened in Australia. I am not a lawyer, and I am trying to remember what I understood about the particular unusual law under which he was prosecuted, so I cannot explain in solid detail. In short, he ended up pleading guilty to manslaughter and spending a year in jail. Understand that there was no intent involved--his guilty plea was based on an admission of being an incompetent buddy, and the judge's sentencing statement made that clear.

So, I don't understand that law, but I suspect that your legal obligations as a buddy where you live are different from ours in the United States.

Lol, my bad. I meant trainee dive master. Looks like DMT would be the right acronym to use. Sorry for confusion. The DMT was actually very good and not terrible at all. And with my size, there are very few people that I can describe as tiny (excluding small children) :p

---------- Post added September 12th, 2014 at 09:28 AM ----------

The very attentive DM noticed what happened and was only a metre or two away from me and keeping a close eye on me anyway as I was probably the least experienced in the group. I was assigned a different buddy for the next dive, without having to ask. The original buddy was not allowed to go in for the second dive for repeatedly disregarding the DM's instructions underwater - not limited to the buddy system. (It was a clear condition set by the op that you follow crew and DM instructions).

That was why I had no real safety concerns during the dive and was more concerned regarding whether my response to the situation was appropriate and how to deal with it in the future. Especially as I'm likely to encounter DMs in the future who are not nearly as attentive.

I've found this discussion really useful and helpful. Thanks very much to all those who responded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom