Buddy Positions w/ the Frog Kick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddy lines also don't work in kelp forests. I am with TSandM, I hate it when a buddy is way above me. I have to practically roll to see them. If they are on my left, then my drysuit starts venting.
I hate this, too. My husband does it all the time and it drives me nutty!
Next time I the leader, I'm going to tell him where to stay! I much prefer when Jax stayed shoulder to shoulder in the poor vis at the lake, much less stress.

Kicking wise, I'm more comfortable cruising with frog kicks. Flutter kicks doesn't allow me to glide as far as I would like, neither do modified frog/flutter kicks. I feel like I have to kick too much to make forward progress. Did I mention I use Jet fins?

My beloved cave instructor would look at you with a disappointed expression and say, "Just because you aren't good at something isn't a reason not to do it. It's a reason to do it more often . . . " :)

Personally, I hate flutter kick, but after getting my butt whomped by the caves in Florida because I tried frog kicking into heavy flow, I decided I had to learn to be more comfortable doing it. I am, although there is a long way to go. Mark Messersmith told me, on the boat in Egypt, that he rarely frog kicks any more.

Let me rephrase. It's like eating cereal with a fork. I can do it just fine and with perfect comfort. But I prefer to use a spoon because it's more effective for the task at hand. And in this case I had to run to school. :D

Given our tank capacity, we wouldn't have made it to our site if I was doing the modified kicks (the pace is just to slow). But I guess there's was no way around the issue. Either I put up with a slow pace, or strained leg(s).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom