frog kick technique tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just get the order right! :thumb:Starting from the "recovery" stroke:
  • Frog: bend knees, rotate feet outward, extend knees, rotate feet inward, glide.., bend knees, ... [push with the bottom of your feet when extending]
  • Back kick: extend knees, rotate feet outward, bend knees, glide..., rotate feet inward, extend knees, ... [pull with the sides then top of your feet when bending knees toward your butt]
When you rotate feet inward, you make a V with your fins. This is especially important going backwards.
hm, guess I just naturally did it backwards. well, I have one skill for tech diving LOL
I'll definitely practice- thanks!

LOL hey, maybe we'll struggle together.
I'm down if you are though lol, where do you dive?
Also needing to get back into the water after a hiatus. Looking to try Lake Allure in Lancaster, but family commitments have been chaotic.

Wish I had a local pool for practice, but my chlorine allergy makes it more challenging. Though, if you are local to Philly again for a while, I might be able to borrow a cousin's salt-water pool for basic refreshing and kick practice (the whole thing is standup depth).

I might also take some dips in the bay near Barnegat, NJ (LBI) mid August

I do occasionally get down to family who are a few miles from Lake Phoenix in VA.

Happy to dive with you any time.

Also needing to get back into the water after a hiatus. Looking to try Lake Allure in Lancaster, but family commitments have been chaotic.

Wish I had a local pool for practice, but my chlorine allergy makes it more challenging. Though, if you are local to Philly again for a while, I might be able to borrow a cousin's salt-water pool for basic refreshing and kick practice (the whole thing is standup depth).

I might also take some dips in the bay near Barnegat, NJ (LBI) mid August

I do occasionally get down to family who are a few miles from Lake Phoenix in VA.

Happy to dive with you any time.
I’d like to get some pool time in before fully diving since it’s been quite a while. Not sure when I’ll have the money to swing gas costs, but I’ll PM you! I could easily do a day trip out there.:) thanks!
ETA- if there’s any saltwater dive sites near you, like on the coast, if we have time it’d be cool to do a small dive there:)

With all kicks except flutters, you have a power stroke and a recovery stroke, and it is important to make sure that the recovery stroke does not interfere with your forward progress Here are some tips.
  • In the mathematical formula for the power of the stroke, all factors are multipliers except velocity--velocity is squared before it is a multiplier. That tells you velocity is critical. Your recovery stroke should be done s l o w l y.
  • Think of an oar going through the water. Now think of a knife blade going through the water. In your recovery stroke, turn your feet as they move into position in a way that makes the fins cut through the water like knife blades, not oars.
  • Feel the glide. Don't be in a super hurry to do the recovery stroke. Feel the effect of the power stroke as you pause and then move your fins s ' o w l y back into position, like knife blades, to begin the next power strok.e

Something that helped me a bit was the following advice: Imagine a wall behind you, and try to push this wall with your fins in order to move forward. Then bring your feet close to each other, with your fins parallel to the bottom. If executed properly, you will feel like gliding in the water.

I’d like to get some pool time in before fully diving since it’s been quite a while.

If you have access to a lap pool, you can practice on your back: bent knees put your fins underwater, put your head on a kickboard and just do "modified frog" laps. With helicopter turns at the wall.

For bonus points, try the back kick with the board under your butt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom