DIR- Generic Modified flutter kick technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To add to the confusion, someone once pointed out that what GUE calls a "flutter kick" is more similar to what some cave divers (perhaps more in Mexico) call a "shuffle kick" than to the rest of the diving world's "flutter kick." GUE's flutter is a bit of an oddball.

The nice thing about GUE is that what is taught is the same everywhere in the world, so if @Imla describes a flutter kick then I believe that is the same flutter kick the OP is trying to learn.
yes the flutter kick here is referring to the GUE/DIR style where hips are locked and knees are bent

so it isnt possible to flick using the ankles exclusively without involving the lower legs? (i.e. no knee extension at all) ,thank you for your tips, i am really hoping to nail this one down before my final evaluation...i am aiming for a tech pass and spent hours practices the other skills( basic 5, v drill etc.) and never thought the modified flutter would present such a challenge..
I'm no expert I'm afraid, I still need to refine my skills for my upcoming tech upgrade. So, in my understanding the smallest version of the flutter kick could be only ankle articulation, which I think is what Lorenzoid is referring to as also being called a "shuffle".

The confusion for me is that I'm not 100% clear on how small a modified flutter should be. On GUE.tv the demonstration for a modified flutter is actually a bit bigger, with some lower leg movement. However I've also heard others criticize that video for not being a good demonstration, so it's not clear to me where the modified flutter ends and where a small normal flutter begins...

I'm no expert I'm afraid, I still need to refine my skills for my upcoming tech upgrade. So, in my understanding the smallest version of the flutter kick could be only ankle articulation, which I think is what Lorenzoid is referring to as also being called a "shuffle".

The confusion for me is that I'm not 100% clear on how small a modified flutter should be. On GUE.tv the demonstration for a modified flutter is actually a bit bigger, with some lower leg movement. However I've also heard others criticize that video for not being a good demonstration, so it's not clear to me where the modified flutter ends and where a small normal flutter begins...
As far as I'm aware, GUE teaches only two flutter types: modified flutter and full flutter. It has never been clear to me why GUE uses the term "modified" if all they really mean is a smaller version of the full flutter. It is my understanding that GUE does not teach a kick where the only movement is the ankle.

Which video? The one on GUE.tv I think is of JJ?
Oh, there are videos of Dora doing all of the propulsion techniques in a pool. I thought they were on GUE.tv. My bad if they are not.

Keep in mind the different uses for the full flutter and the modified flutter.
A full flutter is a pretty good way to gain powerfull propulsion in situations were you are not able to care too much for the environment. Which is why, propulsion in caves are usually solved by frog kicking. However, even in caves, we get to places where the normally wonderful frog, is but a frog and not a prince.
In comes the modified flutter. A fladdering fluddering movement, with just about zero propulsion, but a buttload of control of sides, ups,. downs, and awareness.
Slow, tender carefull, loving little modified flutters will get you between the most tender stalagtites in there.
But, a willow of a modified flutter can turn into averified storm of a full flutter. Aftermath being sand everywhere.

Modified flutter, along with modified frog are there to differenciete power needed and to separates settings where power or delicacy is needed. close to organic debree, you need a very gentle modfied frog. Swimming through tightly set, speleothems, you need modified flutter.

Yes. The smallest of the small flutter can be "a butterflys wing" with most of the movement from the ankle. However, usually, the modified flutter gets its motion from the knee. Lock your hips and thighs and move from the shin and to the foot.
You get more power the closer to the knee you get your movement. If you isolate the ankle/foot/toes you get less power and more finetuned motion. Normal flutter begins when you activate thigh/hips and start to produce up/down drafts in the watercolumn.

Yes. The smallest of the small flutter can be "a butterflys wing" with most of the movement from the ankle. However, usually, the modified flutter gets its motion from the knee. Lock your hips and thighs and move from the shin and to the foot.
You get more power the closer to the knee you get your movement. If you isolate the ankle/foot/toes you get less power and more finetuned motion. Normal flutter begins when you activate thigh/hips and start to produce up/down drafts in the watercolumn.
could you describe the motion of your ankles during the small flutter/ butterflys wings part of the kick? is it simply just alternate between flexing and extending your ankle joint?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom