DIR- Generic Modified flutter kick technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Imla

Are you an instructor yourself? What agency please?
No I am not. (I know there is a sticker under my name that says so, but I have no idea where it came from, or how it got there) However, I do have 10 years as a GUE diver with maybe more than a little motorchallenges and therefore a personal need to analyse movements and the whys and the whats of what makes them work/not work. Was there anything in the description you reacted to?

Was there anything in the description you reacted to?

It was a general comment based on reading your posts in general all over SB. You appear to give systematic detailed answers helping people with their issues based on what appears to be an extensive knowledge.

Perhaps you should move on to become an instructor. I certainly would seek you out if and when I come to your part of the world to dive. (I am most interested to go diving in this area: Scuba diving in Norway)

It was a general comment based on reading your posts in general all over SB. You appear to give systematic detailed answers helping people with their issues based on what appears to be an extensive knowledge.

Perhaps you should move on to become an instructor. I certainly would seek you out if and when I come to your part of the world to dive. (I am most interested to go diving in this area: Scuba diving in Norway)
Thank you! That was very kind to say, and made a bit of a down day a little bit better. I am just a lazy person who try to share whatever tips I got that made my diving easier. I have a neuromuscular disease, and getting to do the dives that I get to do (GUE T2, C2 CCR2) has been in a lot of ways due to people sharing smart things to do to spend less energy doing fun diving. So, I try to pay it forward in the few ways I can.

The couple running Gulen Dive centre are superduper nice, and the diving is amazing. I have more than a few dives on their house reef (I think they are up to 63 species of nudibranchs just 30m outside the pier 100ish total species in Norway) and the wreckdiving is beyond everything. Pack your bags and travel.

I try to pay it forward in the few ways I can.

You are certainly doing a wonderful job.

The couple running Gulen Dive centre are superduper nice, and the diving is amazing. I have more than a few dives on their house reef (I think they are up to 63 species of nudibranchs just 30m outside the pier 100ish total species in Norway) and the wreckdiving is beyond everything. Pack your bags and travel.

Questions:

1. Are there different types of marine life in addition to the nudi's within recreational diving limits there?

2. Is there wreck diving within recreational diving limits there?

3. What is the best time of the year to dive there?

4. What is water temp. at that time of the year?

5. Are there other locations for good diving for an u/w photographer in Norway besides this area?

:)

You are certainly doing a wonderful job.

Questions:

1. Are there different types of marine life in addition to the nudi's within recreational diving limits there?

2. Is there wreck diving within recreational diving limits there?

3. What is the best time of the year to dive there?

4. What is water temp. at that time of the year?

5. Are there other locations for good diving for an u/w photographer in Norway besides this area?

:)
1. Yes. Depending on times of year I have experienced Orcas (Very rare though), seals, sharks and all the little different critters. All within recreational depths.
2. Yes. Frankenwald, Fernedale&Parat (spectacular double wreck with safety/decostops on a gorgeous "sailrock" littered with anemones and critters), Havda, Welheim and Bandak are among the wrecks that can be done recreationally.
3. Best time depends of your cold-tolerance. Winter months (dec-feb) has best visibility, but water dips to lowest at about 6C in March. Spring/Autumn usually have an algaebloom. Late summer/fall has reasonable good visibility 15ish meters with comfy temperatures of about 20ish in the surface in August.
4. Cold to coldish all year. This is definitely dry suit territory.
5. Yes! Ålesund, Sunnmøre, Trøndelag (which has afaik the only cold water coral reef in diveable depths (recreationally), Hitra, Bergen, Lofoten, Kristiansand.
Ålesund is famous for technical(and a bit rec) wreckdiving.
6. Extra info: Keep in mind, Norway IS dry suit country. It is cold(ish). Diving is VERY independent. There will NOT be a guide in the water. You will be given a LOT of freedom, and you are expected to deal with it. Norway has "common sense" laws. (Ie, not the kind of liabilitystuff as in the states). There are few dive shops, fewer dive centres, and a lot of dive clubs. Most of the clubs are very welcome to strangers, but equipment can be hard to source. Make sure you have travel-insurance. While Norway has a very good health care system, unless you are European, you will get a bill afterwards. However, you will get treated first. Hyperbaric centers are few and very far apart. Distances are long, and EMS takes time to get to you. Plan accordingly. Dive conservatively.

1. Yes. Depending on times of year I have experienced Orcas (Very rare though), seals, sharks and all the little different critters. All within recreational depths.
2. Yes. Frankenwald, Fernedale&Parat (spectacular double wreck with safety/decostops on a gorgeous "sailrock" littered with anemones and critters), Havda, Welheim and Bandak are among the wrecks that can be done recreationally.
3. Best time depends of your cold-tolerance. Winter months (dec-feb) has best visibility, but water dips to lowest at about 6C in March. Spring/Autumn usually have an algaebloom. Late summer/fall has reasonable good visibility 15ish meters with comfy temperatures of about 20ish in the surface in August.
4. Cold to coldish all year. This is definitely dry suit territory.
5. Yes! Ålesund, Sunnmøre, Trøndelag (which has afaik the only cold water coral reef in diveable depths (recreationally), Hitra, Bergen, Lofoten, Kristiansand.
Ålesund is famous for technical(and a bit rec) wreckdiving.
6. Extra info: Keep in mind, Norway IS dry suit country. It is cold(ish). Diving is VERY independent. There will NOT be a guide in the water. You will be given a LOT of freedom, and you are expected to deal with it. Norway has "common sense" laws. (Ie, not the kind of liabilitystuff as in the states). There are few dive shops, fewer dive centres, and a lot of dive clubs. Most of the clubs are very welcome to strangers, but equipment can be hard to source. Make sure you have travel-insurance. While Norway has a very good health care system, unless you are European, you will get a bill afterwards. However, you will get treated first. Hyperbaric centers are few and very far apart. Distances are long, and EMS takes time to get to you. Plan accordingly. Dive conservatively.

Brrrrrr

I guess the best time is winter or summer. Do they get snow and high winds there?

I am going to check with you before I make plans and go to visit there :)

Brrrrrr

I guess the best time is winter or summer. Do they get snow and high winds there?

I am going to check with you before I make plans and go to visit there :)
Winds, yes. Snow, occationaly. You actually never know on the west coast. Was there in January and had -15c and snow topside and -1in the water. And +5-10c a different year. In Ålesund we had sleet in May…
And… you can have sunny days, 27c and 4c in the water diving caves in Northern Norway.
Assume it is wet and cold and youll be happy if it is nice.

BuT OH My is it nice when it is nice. I never go abroad between may-oktober. And I usually long home after a couple of weeks. Even when it rains.

Gentle flutter kicks, like the ones describe here, are all about ankles and ankle mobility. Sit down on a tall surface so that your feet are off the ground. With the knees bend around 90 degrees and the feet parallel to the floor, try clapping with your feet while minimizing motion above ankles. Watch your feet. Can your feet clap? If not, you need to work on ankle mobility.

The exercise mentioned above is a modification of what you could practice laying down. However, it is slightly better for beginners so that they can visualize how feet should work. Another tip is thinking about your big toes. When you kick gently, think of stretching your big toes and helping them meet.

A good cave kick will give you the most propulsion with the least movement amount. That's how you preserve the cave and conserve gas. When you learn how to clap with your feet, you'll learn how to send water parallel to the floor (vs. up or down) while minimizing the number of muscles involved in your movement.

Also, while at it, look up toddler squat exercises. Very good for your overall posture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom