Bugs/skeeters/noseeums in Coz for June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversmith

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy all...

We haven't been to Coz in almost 13 years and that trip was in February. We have booked a trip for the four of us (our 2 sons ages 9 & 12 also) starting early June and I'm wondering what the bug situation is normally like for that time period. We remember how very important Cactus Juice was for the Noseeums on our Anthony's Key trip so I'm curious if we need to pack anything special like Cactus Juice, Off or Skin-so-Soft? Staying at the Occidental so we'll be out of the city if that makes any difference there.

Any input from the frequent Coz junkies would be very appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Howdy all...

We haven't been to Coz in almost 13 years and that trip was in February. We have booked a trip for the four of us (our 2 sons ages 9 & 12 also) starting early June and I'm wondering what the bug situation is normally like for that time period. We remember how very important Cactus Juice was for the Noseeums on our Anthony's Key trip so I'm curious if we need to pack anything special like Cactus Juice, Off or Skin-so-Soft? Staying at the Occidental so we'll be out of the city if that makes any difference there.

Any input from the frequent Coz junkies would be very appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
In my experience it's got more to do with whether it has rained recently than time of year, although the summertime is often called the "rainy season". Go prepared.

If you're sitting at an outside table...they are under the table. I use something with deet (doesn't have to be the hardcore stuff) and don't have a problem. Most restaurants provide it as a courtesy. I pack & carry wipes. Just don't get it on neoprene.

We remember how very important Cactus Juice was for the Noseeums on our Anthony's Key trip so I'm curious if we need to pack anything special like Cactus Juice, Off or Skin-so-Soft?
I've been to Roatan a few times and Utila on one trip. The only time I had a significant problem with sand bugs was when I stayed on a sandbar in Utila, but they ate me up. DEET was no help to me.

I've had a couple of dozen trips to Cozumel, and I always take high octane DEET just in case, but I never feel a need. I get more skeeter bites at home on the arid Texas high plains after a rainy spell. I probably should use it more to avoid possible tropical infections tho. In the Bay Islands, I sprayed just before leaving the room and just after leaving the dive boat each time, and that's not a bad idea for Cozumel. I have never had a sand bug problem on Cozumel, but you're experiences might vary.

It's a different story if you go into the jungle or any ruins. Use DEET early and often.

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to order up a few different things to bring...better to be loaded for bear and not need it I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom