Build a travel backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, this'll sound a little odd but hey.
I took a hiatus from diving when I moved to Colorado, so today I'm rebuilding my gear set.

I've picked up a couple Zeagle BCs that look pretty good. I have a barely used Ranger and I've got to say... it's got alot of useless material. It's a very nice BC, but it's sooo much padding.

Years ago I built myself a backplate and wing setup for single tanks. It was nice, simple and worked great. IIRC I used a dive rite wing/plate and made a molded PVC tank holder with dual cam straps.

That said I'm remembering how much I liked my BP. It wasn't expensive to build and it packed up way nicer than any BC.

Sooo, I'm pondering doing up a BP/w for travel. I think SS makes more sense but I may just go AL to drop more travel weight. Looking around, I'm noting the new (to me) light stainless BP that dive rite put out.

Anyone else dig BPs for rec diving? I like tech setups, but generally am not doing full tech. I just agree with the idea of simple inflators and proper octos. Any suggestions for a travel BP?

An aluminum plate works just fine if you’re concerned about packing weight. Some of us take a steel plate when traveling despite it weighing a few more pounds. With an Al 80 and 3/2 mm wetsuit, I need zero lead with a steel plate, so I have succumbed to the temptation when it fit the airline baggage weight budget.

Take a look at the Stainless Steel XT Lite Backplate | Dive Rite It's great for warm water travel, with your choice of harness and the DiveRite Travel wing. Throw a couple of DiveRite weight pockets on the tank cam straps and you're all set

Take a look at the Stainless Steel XT Lite Backplate | Dive Rite It's great for warm water travel, with your choice of harness and the DiveRite Travel wing. Throw a couple of DiveRite weight pockets on the tank cam straps and you're all set

I’m a little confused. Why take a stainless steel BP, cut a bunch of holes in it to make it weigh less and market it as a travel backplate? Why not just buy aluminum if you want lighter? I’m honestly perplexed by this.

I’m a little confused. Why take a stainless steel BP, cut a bunch of holes in it to make it weigh less and market it as a travel backplate? Why not just buy aluminum if you want lighter? I’m honestly perplexed by this.

I'm not a backplate expert, but I understand the density of SS makes it more useful as ballast compared to aluminum. So the 2 pounds you carry on the airplane is (roughly) two pounds of lead you can drop.

I'm sure I'll be sternly corrected if I misspoke :wink:

Depending on how DIY and how cheap you want to go, I'm using a BPW I built from scratch... The plate is a $5 cutting board from big lots, wit slots cut with a dremel. Works like a champ!
20190919_144018.jpg 20190919_144049.jpg
Images are actually my son's rig... The dirt cheap BPW mk2.

That said I'm remembering how much I liked my BP. It wasn't expensive to build and it packed up way nicer than any BC.

Anyone else dig BPs for rec diving? I like tech setups, but generally am not doing full tech. I just agree with the idea of simple inflators and proper octos. Any suggestions for a travel BP?
While you've been on hiatus, the BP/W has become very popular for rec diving. You'll find lots of choices, with the sites linked so far being the best places to start.

Hi
Yes no need to go the diy road now as cheao bp are plentiful.
But if you still want to go diy, you can indeed use a cutting board or do as I did when I started...use a road sign :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom