Building your own IP gauge.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Though the little $10 Intermediate Pressure gauges sold by Leisure pro and others seem to get pretty decent reveiws, I read in a recent thread that you can build/assemble a much better one, for not much money.
After doing a little digging around, I've found what look to be decent,economical parts, all from US-based ebay vendors, but I thought I'd run it by The Matrix here, and see if there are better options availalble.
Here's the (full-sized, all metal) gauge......
Air Compressor Pressure / Hydraulic Gauge 2" Face Side Mount 1/4" NPT 0-300 PSI | eBay
Here's the brass coupling......
Solid Brass Hex Pipe Coupling 1/4" Female NPT Air Fuel Gas Water | eBay
And here's the BC hose adapter.....
Scuba Diving BCD Standard Male BC to Male 1/4 NPT Adaptor 608939468351 | eBay

All this comes it just under $20 delivered. Leisure Pro's smaller, plastic bodied unit comes in at $15 with shipping, and most of the other economical ones i've seen run around $18 and beyond, so I'm thinking this is about as good as it going to get. But again, any better recommendations or other advice are much appreciated.....

I hope you didn't reinvent the wheel in doing your digging, as there are a few old threads with instructions: How to make an IP gauge?

@Mark IV sorry, have to hit $50 to get free shipping. I don't usually have that problem when ordering from DGX lol
I would be surprised if anyone would!

McMaster Carr is what you seek.
I made one for a specific vintage regulator....buy a bunch of o-rings etc while your are at it and take advantage of cheap shipping. They have an app as well.

The qd fitting will not be there though...can be had on ebay.

I made one from a guage I found at Home Depot in the compressor parts aisle and a brass fitting from the plumbing aisle.
It doesn't have a valve but I just use the purge valve on the second stage for that
Cheap, fast, and no shipping.

Deluxe IP Gauge (PSI and BAR)

grab that for $20 shipped, if/when you need to replace the gauge, it's a standard 1/4NPT gauge

I made the mistake of immersing that gauge in the water tank when testing a reg. Ruined the gauge's accuracy. But easy to replace with a new glycerin filled gauge.

I don't use a quick disconnect fitting to attach to my inflator hose. I remove a low pressure plug on the first stage and screw it in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom