BULLSHARK Murdered by 13 yro New Yorker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted the following comment on a different thread, but it is related to this one as well.... concerns circumstances at the blue heron bridge last night:

........bad news in that a diver in another group found a finned lemon shark carcus floating near the bridge. By his estimation, it had only dead a few hours. He's not sure how it got into the intercoastal given the marine forecast would have made fishing hard in the ocean.... but he suspected it was caught in ocean, pulled into a boat, finned and dumped in the intercoastal. Too bad... someone else wrote about bull shark 'murders' in another thread, this feels even more deplorable to me (finning a shark and dumping the body in the water.... especially with lemons).......

Its very sad that parents allow their kids to do stuff like this, .... why don't the parents let him catch, weigh and release as that is the best thing to do with any creature that you are not going to eat!

My Cuz is a marine biologist (a dying breed unfortunately). If this kid *THINKS* he can make it in that field he best have a 4.0 throughout his masters program, and a PHD as well. Aside from that, he has another thing coming IF he ever get's to know this scientific community.

My cuz eats fish, in fact we went deep sea fishing when we last visited her, and she really enjoyed both the catch and the meal. However she is VERY green, and most marine biologists I've met run from Liberal to extremely liberal! They may catch and kill for study and conservation purposes, but hardly for pure sport.

He does have one thing going for him, he does not sound squeamish. If you want to be a marine biologist you must have a stomach for examining the contents of a stomach, among other things! :D

........bad news in that a diver in another group found a finned lemon shark carcus floating near the bridge. By his estimation, it had only dead a few hours. He's not sure how it got into the intercoastal given the marine forecast would have made fishing hard in the ocean.... but he suspected it was caught in ocean, pulled into a boat, finned and dumped in the intercoastal. Too bad... someone else wrote about bull shark 'murders' in another thread, this feels even more deplorable to me (finning a shark and dumping the body in the water.... especially with lemons).......

That is deplorable! I had no idea that fining was something being done in/near our waters. I've never seen shark fin soup offered in any of the FL restaurants.

This was likely done very near BHB. I doubt that lemon shark remains would last long in the ocean.

Finning a shark is a really bad thing, but let us not be softheads by being so oversensitive about the taking of a shark well within the limits of the law which support a sustainable harvest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom