BULLSHARK Murdered by 13 yro New Yorker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I'll bet none of you guys ever shot a bird with a BB gun in your backyard! Or took a magnifying glass to a slug on the sidewalk! I understand your feelings on this subject but, to be honest if my 12 yr old caught a 550lb shark it would be on the wall also! Although we would do it by measurements and pictures for the replica and not actually take the shark in. Only reason we would do it that way though is its easier! Not because I would want to "save the shark". I know I am gonna get flamed for this but this is how I feel. Lots of people all over the world sportfish and you guys are tripping on a little kid! Gimme a break here. Going on a big charter boat when you're a kid and catching something like that, well, the memory lasts forever! I know, my dad took me when I was a kid. Didnt catch anything that big but still have the memories of a GREAT TIME catching some nice fish with dad. And yes, I did keep ALOT of fish. Some to eat and one or two got mounted!

Last time I checked bull sharks weren't in any danger of extinction either!

You know, I have been thinking of changing my major to Sociology. I am really interested in People and their interactions. So, following this logic, I should start hunting and killing people, right? Tomorrow, I will be bagging an IT guy, but I hope one day to catch a Repo guy......How the hell does catching and killing an animal display your interest in said animal?

So am I going to go to hell for all the deer heads I have mounted on my wall too???? At least this kid is spending time with the family and not out doing drugs or robbing/shooting people. Give him a break will ya?

Oh yeah, BTW, I am a REPO GUY!! Whats wrong with repo guys? Dont like us much? Must have a reason for that! HMM....To make matters worse, I am a used car salesman also! That one should be high on the hunted list!

Monofiliment is a huge problem that needs to be addressed. Either come up with a biodegradable line or perhaps sport fishing needs to go away. N

Who was talking about Mono line? I dont think anyone could ever get rid of sportfishing completely. Just isnt gonna happen. Fishing is a MUCH larger business than diving, I think we would definitely lose that battle my friend! Well, not we, but you. I wouldnt want fishing to go away. I have been fishing all my life, only diving for the last 6 or so yrs now. If I had to give up one or the other, well, it was nice knowin' ya!

The kid is only 13 for crying out loud. You know that he is supported in this by his family, they are the ones (Mom and Dad) that need to get the picture as far as this is concerned.

I hope the kid does grow up to be a marine biologist, then we can only hope his kids will not practice the same sport.

Where did it say that the shark wasn't consumed? People who are harpooning this kid in the thread sure seem to be taking some logical leaps here.

It might not seem such a big deal if sport fishers catch a shark here and one there but looking at the numbers it's a bit more scary. Sport fishers pull up 12 Million sharks and rays yearly and that's not a drop in the sea. Most of those are on the red list for engendered species!

In my opinion there is no way to defend the killing an animal that is threatened by extinction!
BULL SHARKS ARE NOT THREATENED BY EXINCTION, sheesh!!

I'd like to see documentation that sport fishermen pull up 12 million sharks and rays yearly, with "most" of the 12 million being endangered species. If that's true (and I highly highly doubt it) it isn't happening in US waters. If NMFS is doing there job and state biologists are doing there jobs then the controlled harvest of certain sharks in a sport fishery is sustainable and does not do any major harm to the ecosystem. Now if our biologists are wreckless, that is a different thread!

It isn't fair to make a leap in logic that the controlled take of a game fish will destroy the world. Sound science has established laws regarding the take of fish in a sport fishery. If a population is having a problem then the fishery is reduced or shut down as has happened to Salmon on the Pacific Coast. In short, in our country today, sport harvest is only allowed in healthy populations of species.

Interesting that in this day and age people feel the need to kill a fish for a trophy mount. I am an extremely avid sportfisherman and spearfisherman and a firm believer you have a right to hunt for your dinner, however, I really don't see the point in killing a fish just to show it off at the dock. If a trophy is the main objective replica mounts have been available for years. A few measurements, a few photos and you have your mount, and more importantly the fish lives to fight another day. Many taxidermists offer this service now.

....., I really don't see the point in killing a fish just to show it off at the dock. If a trophy is the main objective replica mounts have been available for years....

Being a New Yorker he mostly likely consumed and discarded. Just like the soda cans you see coming out of the windows on I-95, cigarette butts thrown in the dry Florida summers and now rows and rows of empty houses.

Spearos and Hunters are for the most part conservationalist -- it is "Fat Tony" in his go fast boat that does not give a darn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom