Bunaken+Lembeh 12 nights trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almitch how long u diving bangka for?

Only 6 nights!! So we will get 5 full days of diving in. Cant wait to dive Sahaung and Paradise Jetty (on the mainland) again. Sahaung is basically Blue Bay Divers house reef! Not a bad house reef at all!!!

The maximum number of dives I can squeeze in is 40
For Lembeh looks like there is really nothing else to do at TwoFish so I will do 4 dives per day
For Bunaken I have arranged 3 dives per day plus another 2 on the transfer day to Lembeh alternatively I could probably leave to Lembeh in the morning and squeeze an additional afternoon dive and night dive there
So right now is max 40 with 18 in Bunaken and 22 in Lembeh I could change it to 16/24 or 12/24 if I skip night dives in Bunaken

Any feedback on Bunaken night dives?

Bunaken night dive at the site near Fukui...Lekian 3 from memory is a great night dive - good mandarin fish spot and had a mimic occy come out to play - lots of activity there. I have been in Bunaken in April, October and June and love the wall. Right infront of Froggies who I would recommend and am a repeat customer there. Second suggestions to go to Bangka - go now and check out Sauhong before the chinese mining on Bangka kicks into full swing. Siladen Jetty is also a nice site from Bunaken.
Just had a quick look as I did keep a log of that night dive - mimic octopus, mandarin fish, nudibranch, large crab, big free swimming nudi, ribbon eels, squid, harlequin shrimp ridin a porcelain crab, occy feeding (see i keep very technical logs) - the divesite ends in a nice cavern area great for turning off your torch in and playing with the bubbles. You would need to leave Lembeh pretty early but id say your plan is do able. I have always enjoyed night dives at Bunaken. Remember most of Bunaken is wall diving - great place and if you need a stopover hotel in Manado try and book into the Grand Puri..the Hotel Celebes has glass in windows as an optional extra. Enjoy your trip.

Any feedback on Bunaken night dives?

Read my post #8 above. The same two sites that are great for mid-morning video are among the best night dives we've ever done for that type of topography. It's a rock and coral slope, not steep enough to call a wall, and it had tons of life on it ... big crabs, octopus, basket stars on the move, soft corals all open, great stuff. Not fun in current, though, so you have to hit it right.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2013 at 07:49 AM ----------

....the Hotel Celebes has glass in windows as an optional extra. Enjoy your trip.

Ummm ... glass in the windows is extra?:confused:

It doesnt cost any extra but you have to ask for it :wink: - I generally catch the late Lion Air flight from Makassar to Manado so its too late for transfer hence the need for somewhere to lay my head...other than..the Hotel Celebes is that big cream and red and iron bars across the windows building right on the harbour where the boats leave from. The first room I was given had no water in any taps or toilet so I asked for another one and got a room with bars across the windows but no glass. I went back down to the desk and asked in bad bahassa for another room with glass and was told.....why you want glass? breeze come from sea tonight....:confused: I gave up and stuck my head out the window and watched the sun rise as the ships unloaded LOUDLY. Gotta love Manado.

Some other great suggestions thanks everybody
So I have changed the provisional plan to 5 nights in Bunaken and 7 in Lembeh
Twofish have confirmed that the transfer to Lembeh is in the afternoon so it is possible to do two morning dives in Bunaken and then leave most likely with equipment still dripping water! In any case I think I will leave this card to play at later stage. If I really like it I will do those dives if not i will skip and have a dry days that after 4 days with 4 dives a day maybe is not a bad thing.
I have checked about the night dives in Bunaken and there are some good spots as some of you indicate plus possible mandarin fish dives so I think I will try and have a dusk or night dive each day at Bunaken. In Lembeh it will be 4 dives per day and if I got the mandarin out of the way it will only be night dives.
So right now the total is 38 dives split with 16 in Bunaken and 22 in Lembeh that sounds about right and one dry day in between with other potential 2 morning dives.
There is a saddle discount and I got a quote for €1284 for the whole package accommodation, transfers and 38 dives as described. Value for money is great am sure I will pleased with the budget room and shared toilets!
I also managed to get some flights London to Manado with Sinapore air at the lower possible fare for £652 now I need to find a way to squeeze the equipment and camera gear in 20 Kg plus carry on!

Think you have made a good choice :)
Carry on your regs and you hardly need any clothes for Bunaken and Lembeh (laundry is so quick!)

Some other great suggestions thanks everybody

I have checked about the night dives in Bunaken and there are some good spots as some of you indicate plus possible mandarin fish dives so I think I will try and have a dusk or night dive each day at Bunaken. In Lembeh it will be 4 dives per day and if I got the mandarin out of the way it will only be night dives.
Just a suggestion ... you can catch mandarins mating in "Bianca" Lembeh Straits at 5.30 pm everyday. I dove this dive site 2 days consecutively and they were punctual.

Some great info on this thread. I'm planning a trip to Bunaken and Lembeh (or Bangka??) in July, and this is helpful. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom