Bungee Rigging my Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to have my Vytec on 2 looped bungee cords... I just ditched those for something I feel is much better, and looks decent too...

The Casio G-Shock nylon, double velcro strap. It creates 2 nylon loops, and double velcro locks. It takes A LOT to let this thing come undone, and the watch is still held in place should one pin fail. If you attach a bungee to the boot as well, then you have triple redundancy too! But unless you're going into a high-entanglement situation, the Casio velcro strap alone should be more than enough.

Ok, I just found alternate straps from Suunto. Does anyone know if the neoprene strap from the Suunto D3 will fit the Vyper/Vytec? What about the Suunto velcro straps? They offer independent loops around the pins so redundancy is there.

I have a Vytec with a factory strap. Wearing a 3mm full suit and the top of a 6mm farmer john (9mm on my arms), if I tighten the strap until it's uncomfortable on land, it becomes loose enough to slide around (but not totally slip off) at 60'. I want a system with redundancy AND squeeze compensation.

Does the Casio strap do this?

Does EXACTLY what you're looking for.

1/8" is the perfect size, set it up so its just snug with your thinnest exposure suit that you usually use.

Mine works just fine with any of my wetsuits and also when diving dry, and has redundancy (losing one pin does NOT hose you.)

Yup, I know... my Vytec is bungeed with 2 loops right now... I was just hoping to find a Suunto strap that does the same job... it's purely for aesthetic reasons.

If you read my earlier post, I actually dumped the bungees in place of the Casio G-shock nylon/velcro strap... it creates 2 separate loops around your wrist, and loops through the pins so only a double pin failure would make you lose your computer. At the same time, the nylon straps are a lot stronger than bungee cords. And since the velcro connections overlap each other on both loops, it takes a LOT of force (probably enough to snap the pins themselves or your wrist) to yank them off.

The Casio strap works fine... actually better than the bungees... I just don't know if they will fit over a drysuit or thicker wetsuits.

How about a loop of elastic the appropriate width?

Or am I missing something obvious?

Dom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom