Bungee Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Just reading Issue One, Volume One of the new DIVERS magazine and I am seeing alot of OMS bungee wings on their tech divers...hmm....

YEah Scoobie liek right on the cover. Pretty ironic....

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Uncontrolled descent? Can you clarify what happend? Was it caused by the bungee's?

Speak!
But I forget in which thread.

Guy on a liveaboard last year diving doubles and a bungeed wing (forgot which brand) - while gearing up his pull dump knob got tucked behind a bungee on the wing, and when he entered the water - his pull dump was stuck open. He went to inflate his wing, but it could only partially inflate, as the wing would inflate to a point where the swelling wing would make the pull dump open (knob stuck under the bungee remember?), and he didn't have enough lift. Hit the bottom in 60' or so, had to get a buddy to find what the problem was.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
But I forget in which thread.

Guy on a liveaboard last year diving doubles and a bungeed wing (forgot which brand) - while gearing up his pull dump knob got tucked behind a bungee on the wing, and when he entered the water - his pull dump was stuck open. He went to inflate his wing, but it could only partially inflate, as the wing would inflate to a point where the swelling wing would make the pull dump open (knob stuck under the bungee remember?), and he didn't have enough lift. Hit the bottom in 60' or so, had to get a buddy to find what the problem was.

This is the second or third similar story about bungeed wings that I've read from this and other boards. What always surprises me is that the diver always seems to hit bottom instead of arresting their descent by swimming up. :confused:

Doesn't make any sense to me.

GearHead once bubbled...

This is the second or third similar story about bungeed wings that I've read from this and other boards. What always surprises me is that the diver always seems to hit bottom instead of arresting their descent by swimming up. :confused:

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Have you ever tried to swim up a full set of doubles.Your looking at negative 10-16lbs of gas alone depending on the size of the tanks plus the weight of a deco bottle if your carrying one adds another couple of pounds.

THIS IS AN INTERESTING DEBATE. I TOO HAVE BEEN CONSIDERING THE USE OF BUNGEE'D WINGS, UNDER THE ARGUMENT THAT THE BUNGEE'S WOULD KEEP THE WING CLOSER TO MY BODY, HENCE GIVING ME A BETER PROFILE AND KEEPING IT ALL NEAT.......... I RESPECT THE DIR GUYS FEELING THAT IT COULD BE DANGEROUS GETTING CAUGHT UP IN A WRECK, BUT COULDN'T YOU ALSO GET YOUR WING, AS IT FLAPS ABOUT, CAUGHT ON THAT SAME WRECK? ......I HAVE BEEN EXPLORING A BC PURCHASE, AND THE OMS HAD COME UP, AND THIS THREAD HAS GOT ME THINKING AGAIN................AND QUITE HONESTLY BWOD IS PRETTY MUCH MISPLACED AS A TAG, FOR THIER ARE LOTS OF THINGS IN THIS SPORT THAT CAN KILL YOU. AND I TOO HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE ACTUALLY BEING KILLED BY BUNGEE'D WINGS...FEEL FREE TO REPLY...........................................................................................................Cant be DIR....I like steak too much!:wink:

Hmmm, I see. Thats why Halcyon makes their dumps with NO little knobs on the ends of the dump valves. I recall seeing a web site once that showed how to replace the pull strings with new material...but I forgot where...kinda wanna make me remove those little balls on the end now....

Taat2d, what do ya think?

ingreevox,
Eating vegetarian isn't necessarily a DIR attitude - just that a few DIR folks happen to eat that way...I'm one of them, see my web site.

On the BWOD note, I wish I had an extra $500 that I didn't need, and I'd buy a Halcyon wing and a BWOD and test, once and for all.

My thinking was that the bungeed wing would have LESS chance of snagging in a wreck, due to the fact that the bands keep the wing tight and not loose. Thats my opinion. When inflated or deflated, those bands are tight so I can't see where anything could get underneath the to snag anything. And on that note, I'd imagine that your LP hoses and other stuff would be more inclined to be snagging if anything.

Just MO.

SCOOBY, NOT A DIS ABOUT THE VEGGIE THING. JUST NOT MY STYLE. BUT I THOUGHT THAT WAS PART OF THE DIR MANTRA. I COULD BE WRONG, BUT I THINK I READ IT IN THE DIR BOOK. EITHER WAY, I LIKE VEGGIES TOO, JUST DIG EM NEXT TO A STEAK! LOL ............................................................................................ STILL HAVENT SOLVED MY BUNGEE WINGS DILEMMA. MORE OVER I AM FINDING BUYING MY GEAR, AND THIS IS MY FIRST GEAR, TO BE ALOT OF THINKING, AND READING, AND SECOND GUESSING................................LET ME PUT IT TO THE POSTERS....I AM CONSIDERING THE DEEP OUTDOORS MATRIX. I TRIED THE OMS VERSION, BUT THE DEEP OUTDOORS SEEMED MORE COMFORTABLE. I WONDERED IF THE BWOD WOULD ACTUALLY FIT ON THE MATRIX....DIDN'T KNOW IF THAT WAS DONE OR IF IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. .............................................................. AS FOR THE DIR MENTALITY. I DONT SEE MYSELF IN THAT GROUP, NOT NOW, I AM STILL PRETTY NEW, AND NEED TO GAIN MORE DIVING EXPERIANCE........BUT I HAVE READ THE BOOK, AND TAKEN AWAY SOME VERY INTELLIGENT IDEAS TO ADD TO MY DIVING. ANY INFORMATION CAN ONLY MAKE ME BETTER AT THE CRAFT......

Hmmm,
I believe the DIR book discusses healthy eating, just not sure if strict vegan diet is what they endorse for everyone...???

I have dove both the OMS and Halcyon wings. I spoke to MANY[\b] tech divers whom were using OMS bungee wings for a long time on their tech dives BEFORE I bought mine. I have not had ANYONE tell me that they had ANY problems with their bungee wings - Nothing...all of them DID tell me that they'd buy another OMS wing in a minute. Two of them did tell me that they had tried the Halcyon Pioneer wing (PM me for their e-mail address if you'd like to contact them for yourself) and did not like it in comparison with their OMS bungee wing. Said they experienced some 'uneven' buoyancy issues that they never did with the OMS - now that’s what THEY told ME - so that’s NOT my opinion here. They guys have some mighty impressive scuba web sites that show tons of pics from some deep and technical Great Lakes dives - so they are pretty experienced divers.

My bungee wing cost me about $120 LESS than the Halcyon single tank recreational wing, AND, my OMS is as much at home with my single tanks as well as doubles. The bungee keeps the wing in low profile with either so 'flapping' isn't an issue...

I have read a few posts lately about Halcyon having some issues with bladder seam integrity, staples thru cardboard boxes INTO the wings upon shipping them out of the factory, etc. One poster was poking fun that perhaps the 2 Halcyon employees that 'defected' from Halcyon to OMS were probably from the shipping department! Well, I can't say that these two issues are helping Haycyon's image any! Hopefully, those are isolated issues and are already corrected.

Back
Top Bottom