Bungeed Dual bladder BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matsya

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There seem to be for and against views on using a bungeed dual bladder BCD. I genuinely want to know objective reasons for both views (without starting a brawl if possible). Before someone asks why I want to know, I have already bought one because i got it at a good price.

Since you're planning on taking DIR-F, you can go to www.gue.com and download a copy of the Standards PDF, found under GUE Diver Training. There are detailed equipment requirements listed there. The main objections to the double bladder have to do with the task loading involved in managing two inflation systems. As for the bungees, they are considered to cause air-trapping, turbulent flow along the wing, and possible difficulty with oral inflation. The problem they are intended to solve, an oversize wing, would be better handled by using a smaller wing.

rongoodman:
I thought you were planning on taking DIR-F? The main objections to the double bladder have to do with the task loading involved in managing two inflation systems. As for the bungees, they are considered to cause air-trapping, turbulant flow along the wing, and possible difficulty with oral inflation. The problem they are intended to solve, an oversize wing, would be better handled by using a smaller wing.

No changes in the plan Ron. This one was bought BEFORE I had even thought about DIR-F and is lying around unused.

Hey Matsya. Im totaly with you. I LOVE the bungeed dual wing. I have the OMS 94# bungede. There is nothing wrong with it, its just DIR is very picky at there gear because they are tryin to be very safe. I have never had anitrouble with my wing, its perfect. Infact the bungees kinda help, they make it nice and compact but they also help with the deflation. It doesnt deflate really really fast its just nice, you can control the speed by the amount u push down the deflate button anyway... Everyone at my LDS uses a Double Bladder infact Randy Milak whos instructor number is like 40 uses it and he has made a dive in toby to 428 right to the bottom. Its a great wing, dont let anyone else tell you other wise.

Tek Adventure Diver:
Hey Matsya. Im totaly with you. I LOVE the bungeed dual wing. I have the OMS 94# bungede. There is nothing wrong with it, its just DIR is very picky at there gear because they are tryin to be very safe. I have never had anitrouble with my wing, its perfect. Infact the bungees kinda help, they make it nice and compact but they also help with the deflation. It doesnt deflate really really fast its just nice, you can control the speed by the amount u push down the deflate button anyway... Everyone at my LDS uses a Double Bladder infact Randy Milak whos instructor number is like 40 uses it and he has made a dive in toby to 428 right to the bottom. Its a great wing, dont let anyone else tell you other wise.

Have you ever tried to orally inflate it?
Can you give us some feedback on this as this would be the major safety concern for me.

I have an OMS 94# bungied single bladder on my tech rig (I dive dry so no need for double bladder) it is no problem to inflate orally aside from getting light-headed from blowing up something that big. the bungies shipped with it are fairly weak. if someone bungied with surgical tubing I could see a problem, but I see no need to give up my bungies.

rongoodman:
Since you're planning on taking DIR-F, you can go to www.gue.com and download a copy of the Standards PDF, found under GUE Diver Training. There are detailed equipment requirements listed there. The main objections to the double bladder have to do with the task loading involved in managing two inflation systems. As for the bungees, they are considered to cause air-trapping, turbulent flow along the wing, and possible difficulty with oral inflation. The problem they are intended to solve, an oversize wing, would be better handled by using a smaller wing.

I have already downloaded a lot of notes and material about DIR Ron. That was the reason that I asked this question. I bought this BCD BEFORE I had read in detail about DIR equipment requirements. At the time that I bought the BCD, I had some vague idea of using it when I got into technical diving. Now that I plan on taking the DIR-F, I have to buy a standard backplate wings so I am really wondering what I am going to do with this. That is why I want to find out the pros and cons.

Well i wouldnt recommend getting rid of it, You shouldnt have to change everything becuase of it, OH and Orally Inflating it isnt hard at all. It just alot, because you have to lift your doubles and deco etc etc.

Dual bladder wings aren't necessarily bungeed. Dive Rite makes a version of the dual bladder Rec Wing and Oxycheq makes a 50 lb. dual bladder wing. Bungeed wings can be single bladder. Those are 2 seperate issues as far as DIR goes. I don't understand why you want to take a DIR class if you don't want to follow the rules.

TheRedHead:
Dual bladder wings aren't necessarily bungeed. Dive Rite makes a version of the dual bladder Rec Wing and Oxycheq makes a 50 lb. dual bladder wing. Bungeed wings can be single bladder. Those are 2 seperate issues as far as DIR goes. I don't understand why you want to take a DIR class if you don't want to follow the rules.

RedHead please read the posts thoroughly before you comment. See post #7. Did I state that I don't want to follow the rules? I do want to follow them!! So I am buying a completely new set of DIR compliant equipment.
AND I DID NOT MENTION DIR AT ALL. Ron asked a question because he had read and responded to another post I made. Please I repeat I did not bring up DIR and I don't want to. All I wanted to know is the pros and cons of a dual bladder bungied wing. I will take my DIR class in DIR compliant equipment and any questions that I have on DIR, I will post in the appropriate forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom