bungie heel strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How long do the bungie heel straps last on the force fins? I just put them on and i was wondering how long they would last before they need to be replaced. I was also reading a article about adding springs to the standard fins, I was wondering if anyone has done this and how they liked them.

Sam Chavez

Force Fin bungie heel straps were around before the spring straps came on the scene. A lot of people love the spring straps and that comes down to personal prefernce. I do know that most of the springs out there lock down on your heel like a pitbull's jaws and if you like that feel cool!

I do like that fact that I can adjust the Force Fin bungie heel strap tension, so if am changing footwear and need to tighten or loosen I can do so. The Force Fin bungie heel strap has improved over the years and Bob started by diving a pair many years ago for three years straight before he put it on the market and felt comfortable with it. The bungie cords are burnt with a machine, but by hand as to ensure that every bungie is completely sealed. Bob Evans himself has been burning bungies most of today.

My Flying Force has had the same bungie heel straps on them for the last 6 years and Force Fin customers have told me about ten year runs with their Bungie heel straps. I would say bungie heels straps will last anywhere from 3 to 10 years. I look forward to Force Fin users providing stories about their experience with heel straps in this thread and get the whole range.

Blair
Thanks for the information on the bungie straps. I am happy with them but I had come across an article about replacing existing traps on standard fins and I was wondering. I have used force fin for several years when I was in the army, working in a scuba locker facility. I hope to be enjoying my force fin pro. I have been to the pool with them getting used to them and I must say that I love them. Waiting on my Advanced Open Water class to start and then I will be using for that class. Love the find Bob. Thanks for the info Blair.
Thank you
Sam Chavez

I put bungees on my FF's and was dissatisfied with while diving barefoot. Too much pressure on my heels. I usually just disengage them when I hit swimming depth and go without any straps at all. The fins stay on without them.

I find that I need to adjust the straps to make them smaller to be honest. I am wearing a 3 or 5 mm soft soled booties and they feel really nice and comfortable i was worried about the nylon strap that is stock would come off or loosen up so i decided to invest the money in the bungee kit, and I have to say they are really nice. I have spoke to my instructor about force fins for my AOW course and he said he is not in favor of force fins. I was wondering why, so I ask him why, and if he had every tried them. He said he had never tried them and the gave me the reason that he has heard alot of bad things about them so he has decided not to use them or recommend them. As for me when my girl friend decides she is ready to do the scuba thing she has decided she wants a set of Force Fins.
Thanks

eh... if you like your fins use them, the only way to overcome the ignorance of others is to show them what they can do. So many times I have sold a buddy on ForceFins that they laughed at after a really challenging dive that they couldn't keep up with. So many people "hear" bad things and never actually try the fins, but once you keep showing them what they can do they eventually come around.

but for the bungies, there are times that I wish my bungies were longer as well, not always, but sometimes

I have spoke to my instructor about force fins for my AOW course and he said he is not in favor of force fins. I was wondering why, so I ask him why, and if he had every tried them. He said he had never tried them and the gave me the reason that he has heard alot of bad things about them so he has decided not to use them or recommend them.
Thanks

Pearl97t Bird,

I have tried for 25 years to work with the instructional agencies'. I have tried to educate them about my fins and that there is a better way to end cramping than pulling on your fin blade - ever tried to do this in a current - with no luck. It is the agency's fault that your instructor is left to base his decision on rumor. Why don't you have him give us a call, and if your Force Fins fit him, let him give them a try?

Several years ago in Genoa, Italy during a dive show, I was approached by a group of Italian Naval Officers. Through a translator the top Italian Admiral told me that at first they thought Force Fins were a joke, but through testing they had found it was the best fin for their divers to use. I do sell many fins to the Italian and other navies throughout the world. When I hear the wise words from someone like you diving instructor, I only can thing of that moment in Italy shaking the hand of this great man.

All I can say is thank you SCUBABOARD and SCUBA RADIO and to all my friends who believe in my company and products, Force Fin. And, thank you America, where a person can make a dream come true, and to all the workers at our four production plants who sweat each day making our fins.

Best,

Bob Evans

I have nearly 10 years of pretty harsh year round New England Public Safety diving with little to no signs of any degredation. I have never had to scrub an emergency dive operation becuase of a busted fin strap unlike my bretheren who use the rubber straps. Personally I think the bungee straps would give spring straps a run for their money!! Bottom line THEY LAST!!

Hope this helps.

Mark D.

I dived them everyday Barefoot in the Caymans and I offered to let people use them.
A pair of pros with a bungee will last a long time.
I will try any dive gear and keep an open mind. People I suppose by nature like to put down other stuff. What works, works. If I have not used a piece of gear I am not qualified to judge it. I have current in my backyard and use Force Fins week in and out. I laugh at Instructors from some inland dive shop in anytown USA who are Kings at the local Quarry who are so full of themselves that they pontificate judgement on gear and their minions just gobble it up.
This is a classic example of the big watch little Richard syndrome.
Now I get to guide two folks in my Force Fins tomorrow
Avi

Before the bungee's came out, I installed silicone tubing to my FF's, actually better I think, they adjust to whatever footwear you have on automatically and it is quite durable, it has been on them over 10 years and still going strong.
Yarg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom