Buoyancy control techniques for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for those who gave me those valuable advices.

In fact, I discussed the matter with my instructor and I was told to check my weight if I can float at eye level. I do agree that practice is to very very important, but in my case I could only make dives during the course where I am not able to practice the buoyancy control. Anyway, I would try to do make fun dives for just practising the buoyancy.

I am an Asian and is used to wear a 3mm neoprene wetsuit, 12 lbs weight and a AL80 tank in the salty water. I was tiold by my instructor that I could never inhale the BCD under controlled ascent. Therefore, I am used to fin up but I find it's very difficult to do the safety stop. Please kindly advise me.

Butsee, an Open Water Diver
With a 3mm and 105lbs, you sound a little overweighted. Next time you have an empty tank, float at eye level and see how many pounds you need. I weigh 135 and dive with 8 but when you're new sometimes it takes a little more but your buoyancy should improve to the point that you don't need as much. 12 pounds for 105 lbs with 3mls seems far too much.

I almost forgot! One thing beginners tend to do is kick their way down, which causes you to stay up. Try crossing your legs while descending so that you aren't pumping them. Also, breathe slowly and relax, so that you don't fill your lungs up with air. Deep breath out. There you go!

Is this a record?

I don't think I have ever seen another thread that was reopened after 10 years. I didn't think it was possible, frankly.

Is this a record?

I don't think I have ever seen another thread that was reopened after 10 years. I didn't think it was possible, frankly.

Gotta be a "Dead Thread Walking" record for sure.

deadmanwalking.jpg

I scratch my head when I see something dredged up from a year ago, but in this case? Hell, the OP hasn't logged in since Dec 2000!

The old thread being re-vived can be attributed to the search function. I do it all the time as to not get the dreaded "did you search first"? :)

I'm a newbie as well and have been amazed that anytime i have trouble descending i can review the computer log and see that my air consumption went up. Not sure why but now and then i get jazzed about something underwater and use air like crazy. Just something else to think of :). I like one of the previous comments that said "someday you'll wonder why you worried about it". Can't wait for that day...

I like one of the previous comments that said "someday you'll wonder why you worried about it". Can't wait for that day...

Be sure to log back in to this thread in the fall of 2020 and provide an update!

I knew, when I answered Lance, that he had revived an old thread; but we encourage people to search, and it just didn't seem reasonable to split his post off and make a new thread out of it, so I just answered him.

That makes so much sense that I feel dumb for asking! Thanks for not replying with, "duh!"
Lance, physics is inexorable. Air will always rise to the highest point in its container underwater, so you always have to get a dump to a place where it is where the air wants to go. It should not be necessary to go completely vertical to dump from your shoulder dump, though; if it is, the dump take off is too far forward on the shoulder of the BC. It should be sufficient, with normally constructed BCs, to roll a little bit to your right, and perhaps a little bit head-up.

It is very likely that the reason you feel you have to go very head-down to dump from your rear dump is that your normal posture isn't completely horizontal. If you are head-up, then getting a little head-down to move the gas to the rear dump is going to feel like a BIG change.

Haha! Sorry guys here's the thing - I am using a blackberry and when I begin a thread, I get no 'submit' button. So I found a related post and used reply!
I knew, when I answered Lance, that he had revived an old thread; but we encourage people to search, and it just didn't seem reasonable to split his post off and make a new thread out of it, so I just answered him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom