buoyancy problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to do the bounce, 12lbs standard 80 3 mil fresh

switched to 6lbs, bounce reduced big time

switched to a neutral 80 and 3lbs and its like heaven.

I sink like a rock, so I do not need much weight, and the neutral helps me take some lead off, but my problem turned out to be that I was overweighted, overweighted increases my air consumption and makes me feel "clumsy" underwater.

Thanks for the Clarification Charlie and Fred.

I own two Aluminum tanks, a Luxfer 80 and a Deep Sea 72 (used to have a J valve) I like the Luxfer over the deep sea because the weight variance is less and its a slightly shorter tank. Whenever I rent tanks out here, I end up getting large Scubapro Steel tanks that allow me to shed some weight from my BC.

I had read several articles here on Scubaboard that have helped with the weight. One thing I noticed when switching from steel to Aluminum.. on my first Aluminum dive I compensated by adding 5# to my weight. I went on a short dive to "Check it out" and found myself bobbing to the surface from 16 feet (with no air in the BC) It took an additional 6 pounds to make me neutral on the surface with no air in the BC.

FredT, I have the article you sent me earlier when I asked for your price list and help on managing Boyancy. It has been excellent information. Thanks!

Packing all that weight around is a pain in the Arse, I plan on going to a Backplate where I can move some of it off my hips.

Newbie-in-fl how deep are you going? I notice I have most of my problems in the first 14 feet of water, it seems that the slightest change of anything can have drastic effects.

here is another thread in SB that addresses this exact issue. there are several good posts here too.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27413&highlight=Boyancy+Control

Sorry to have Hijacked the thread..
:eek:ut:

thanks for the info so. far.

to clarify a little. i am 5'8'', 160lbs, fresh water diving
3mm one piece jumpsuit, single tank AL 80
back inflate bc, using 14lbs of weight

do you think a buoyancy course (if there is one?) would
help or do i just need to practice some more first

newbie-in-fl once bubbled...
thanks for the info so. far.

to clarify a little. i am 5'8'', 160lbs, fresh water diving
3mm one piece jumpsuit, single tank AL 80
back inflate bc, using 14lbs of weight

do you think a buoyancy course (if there is one?) would
help or do i just need to practice some more first
PADI does have a "peak performance buoyancy" course, but at this stage you are probably better off just practicing some more.

Extra lead means you have to add extra air to compensate. That air expands and compresses as you ascend and descend, changing your buoyancy with depth. This change adds to the wetsuit change in buoyancy and makes it difficult to stay neutral at all time. Start reducing your lead until you don't have excess. I'd start by removing at least 4#, preferably 6#.

Go back to basics. All of the below is with NO hand motion, NO finning.

Go to the bottom and do a fin pivot.

Then add enough air to your BC that you rise off the bottom with a super large breath of air and sink back when you blow out.

Then add just a touch more so that you can hover a couple feet off the bottom, going and down slightly as you breathe in and out.

ENJOY!

Another good drill is to sit on the bottom at 15 ft with 300-500 psi in an AL 80 (After safety stop, I know 300 psi is a no no) and have your buddy take weight from you until you start to lift off the bottom, take 2 lbs back. Try diving the weight you have left.

Weighting is a tough nut to crack, I just moved to Seattle and struggled wearing 7mm, hood, gloves and 30+ lbs. Getting comfortable in the cold water, changing some gear set ups until I was best with 20 lbs. I knew I was close when I dump all air from bc, expel most from lungs and drop slow.

My drysuit should be here tommorrow and I get to start over, but it'll be worth it.

Chris

I have the same problem w/ bounce, but it seems more at shallow depth...ie, 30-40ft. The deeper I go the less problems it seems i have. My instuctor has suggested that I'm putting in too much air at once and to wait a few sec./min. before I add a bit more.

Try that, maybe u r adding too much air at once.

Back
Top Bottom