Buoyancy skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBoard had (and still has) a number of active participants I very pointedly did NOT want involved. I knew that if they got wind of it, they would interfere with those efforts to the best of their ability. I'm pretty sure I was right, and if you were to do a search on ScubaBoard for the discussions that took place AFTER we published the article, you would see why. Even though PADI published our article, and even after PADI Technical Director Karl Shreeves became involved as a co-author of the article, people were posting extremely aggressive posts saying that teaching that way was a violation of PADI standards, and any instructor who did what we suggested risked being expelled. I would say that many of those posts were on the edge of lunacy, but the truth is I thought they were over the edge. Imagine what would have happened if we had had the discussion here BEFORE writing the article!

It's not only Scubaboard. When I first started teaching with this method it was because of things that I had heard on the internet. I became curious and it inspired me to start experimenting with "out of the box" approaches. At the time I was working for a shop whose CD was very .... er .... "precise" about the "rules". (more about him later).

He would see me trying things like asking a diver to take off their mask while swimming and just keep swimming and would tell me that PADI never intended for the skill to be executed like that.

Likewise with the hover. I do the hover starting from the surface and just descending into hovering as opposed to working from bottom up. I have Pete (@The Chairman) to thank for that idea . He literally called this a "standards violation" at one point. The high point was when I started doing the equipment R&R while hovering and he lost it and told me to "cease and desist".

There are many examples of criticisms that I had to endure from him and we had many exchanges where I said, "just try it with me and tell me what you think". Thankfully the other instructors at the shop didn't get involved because they saw a "conflict relationship" evolving with a lot of discussions, even after hours, and a lot of back-and-forth between me and the CD in the pool where we tried stuff and he told me that it was really cool but it was against standards.

I think the coin fell for him when one of my OW students in MOD-4 did the following. She was hovering in the deep part of the pool and the mask strap kept slipping down because she had done the pony-tail in her hair wrong. She took off the mask while hovering, fixed her hair and replaced the mask again without losing buoyancy control. It wasn't a one-off. She really had this level of control and he saw that happen.

That was the day he said to me, "we" (suddenly it was also HIS result) need to see how PADI really feels about this.

PADI didn't get it at first. Their official stance was that the standards described WHAT the instructor needed to do but now HOW. However, they were concerned about the instructor potentially task loading the students.

Then John asked me to offer input into his project and I was honored (and humbled) to do so given that I'm really a nobody when it comes down to it. Of anything I've ever done in diving, being a part of that is the one thing I'm most proud of.

When the article came out and more importantly when PADI tightened up the standards, I couldn't believe it.

At that point I hadn't seen that CD for some time because he had moved to Australia to train for a while and then put his energy into becoming an IANTD and TDI instructor trainer. When he moved back to the Netherlands we got in touch again and we've become good friends. At one point he mentioned that the standards were changed along the lines I was using and that it was a "market initiative". I explained my (small) personal role in that and we had a good laugh about all the conflict we had had in the past. He told me that he was so happy that I was as "headstrong as an ox" (in Dutch, "een bord voor je kop") and kept pushing ahead despite all the doubts and objections.

So what John is saying is true. A paradigm shift of this sort can't happen if the peanut gallery won't allow it. It has to happen in such a way that the peanut gallery experiences a moment in which they suddenly realize that what they THOUGHT were "facts" are not facts.

R..

people were posting extremely aggressive posts saying that teaching that way was a violation of PADI standards, and any instructor who did what we suggested risked being expelled

Hopefully ALL instructors know by now that is not the case, but some still probably do. I talked to PADI once about how I do everything midwater to double check, and they had no issues with it.

Hopefully ALL instructors know by now that is not the case, but some still probably do. I talked to PADI once about how I do everything midwater to double check, and they had no issues with it.

They do not. At the shop where I'm working right now, a number of colleagues are still telling me that doing the equipment R&R while hovering is a possible standards violation despite the new standards referencing "not losing buoyancy control" as one of the aspects of the skill. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get them to "just try it". None of them follow internet forums or have any idea how common this approach is. They think I'm an anomaly.

R..

but the boy can't dive.

I had Foghorn Leghorn's voice in my head as I read that.

"cease and desist".

That would be a bad move.

What is kind of funny about UW R&R, I was helping out a class where everyone was taught on the knees. I demoed UW R&R neutrally buoyant and EVERY SINGLE STUDENT got buoyant and then did it. It was so great to see! They struggled. It wasn't comfortable or fluid in any stretch of the imagination (in my opinion), but it wasn't my class.

If anyone has sway with DAN, can they point out to them that three people standing on the bottom is not a good generic image for pool training, given the role of buoyancy in safety. They use such an image in an recent article on flying after pool diving. Perhaps the web copy can be revised after the fact at least. I did email them.
Alert Diver | Flying After Pool Diving
Hopefully with out derailing this conversation into OMG OMG OMG...

How can he be a good IDC candidate if he can't dive?
Because diving is not the same as demoing a skill. Especially while planted firmly on the bottom.

Because diving is not the same as demoing a skill. Especially while planted firmly on the bottom.
And therein lies the problem. People advance in their instructing by demonstrating their ability to perform specific skills in a controlled environment, not by doing actual dives.

I've read on SB stories of instructors & divemasters whose buoyancy/diving ability was questionable. I never worked with one or observed one while taking a course. Just lucky I guess?

Sure. Please bear in mind that I NEVER do more than 4 students at a time, obviously if you have more the timescale will extend

I start off with a dry demo of the basic positioning:
View attachment 411290

Then I get them to do some weighting exercises with mask and snorkel, what they are doing is exhaling until lung mid point, they start getting short hovers around here:

View attachment 411291 View attachment 411296

The next step is to get a reg in their mouth and work on breathing neutral. I use a long hose from a tank on the side of the pool ala UTD ESM course, keeps it gradual with them and allows to focus on the buoyancy without the distractions of the gear. This is also where I get them to do reg remove and replace and mask clear. They are holding weights in their hands, prevents sculling and allows them to move forward and backward to assess trim. We use this info to distribute weight once they are in gear:

View attachment 411292
View attachment 411294
View attachment 411297
After that its gear up and hover neutral. This is all done in the first 2 hour session:

View attachment 411293

They are usually pretty tired by then, the next training day is 5 min hovering to recap, followed by all the usual CW skills, all done neutral.

RainPilot, thanks much.

One thing not clear to me, though. How do they maintain the horizontal trim with a backmount? It's no problem with a weight in hands stretched forward but not so much with a weight belt or even with weight in the trim pockets...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom