"Butandings" seen off South end of Cebu Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonCebu

Contributor
Reaction score
"Butandings" seen off South end of Cebu Island

Now is a good time to check out the whale sharks at the south end of Cebu Island.

They call them “Dodong,” “Lucas,” “Joaquin” and “Fermin” - that’s according to size - but huge or small, they are the latest attraction in the South of Cebu Island. The article says Sumilon Island, but the South End of Cebu Island is more correct because they can be seen as far north to Alcoy.

Good thing it is the Philippines and you can still get close enough to touch them, they are very playful or you can read and abide by the code of conduct.

[video=youtube;p7OCsLGIEwo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OCsLGIEwo[/video]

My barkada went to check them out. It is 100 percent sure right now you will see and get close enough to noodle them !

You really don't need to bring tanks or scuba gear. I had more fun just with a mask, snorkel and flippers. So it is great for NON divers also.

They are close enough to shore to swim out to. Just give the local fisherman P150 ( or more if you feel generous ), because they will spot and bring you out to them.

Next week National Geographic is going to document and tag them. So it is going to be the next tourist must do in Cebu while it last and is still affordable !

shocked!! why does everybody thinks its great to touch whalesharks? I am sure it would be just as great by only watching the shark. Guys, just assume you walk along the street minding your own business and than everybody come along and touches you

If anyone want a personal guide for to see the Whale Sharks up close send me a Private message to set up a tour package.

Basic Tour:
3:00 a.m. - Pick up in Cebu City or Mactan Island.
Drive to Whale Shark location at the South of Cebu Island in a luxury SUV with Aircon and DVD player.
6:00 a.m. - arrive at Whale Shark Location.
Included entrance fee in any to jump off point, local spotters. 1 airtank

I guarantee you will see a whale shark up close or you only have to pay for gas for the car.

Ending options

#1: Go to Moalboal.
#2: Return back to Cebu City
#3: Drop off at Ferry to Dumagete

PM me for current rates and conditions.

shocked!! why does everybody thinks its great to touch whalesharks? I am sure it would be just as great by only watching the shark. Guys, just assume you walk along the street minding your own business and than everybody come along and touches you

How do you know the whale sharks don't like being touched ? Did you interview them ?

They seemed more than happy to be touched !

If I was walking down the street and people started touching me, I would'nt mind at all. I may even tip everyone !

How do you know the whale sharks don't like being touched ? Did you interview them

Nice comeback. It makes no sense but A for effort none the less. :shakehead:

They seemed more than happy to be touched !

DonCebu everybody, The Whale Whisperer. Obviously you believe the whale sharks speak to you to know this. Or did you see them smile every time they were touched?

If I was walking down the street and people started touching me, I would'nt mind at all. I may even tip everyone !

Now this we can almost agree on. It all depends on what the women looked like.

[h=1]Whale sharks sighted off Oslob[/h]
THE town of Oslob in southern Cebu noted a sudden increase in the number of tourists. They can only think of one reason—whale sharks.

In the past three months, whale sharks have been seen off Barangay Tan-awan, Oslob. From just one, seven—including two pups—were seen interacting with divers Tuesday last week.

Tourism-wise, the development would be good for Oslob and turn the town into an alternative destination to Donsol, SorsogoTourism-wise, the development would be good for Oslob and turn the town into an alternative destination to Donsol, Sorsogon where tourists can swim with the gigantic but docile sea creatures where tourists can swim with the gigantic but docile sea creatures.

“They should never be touched because whale sharks are a very rare species and they are susceptible to diseases."

If you touch them make sure you wear a condom !

They are not only suceptible to diseases, they are also possibly a source of scratches and infections if you touch them. Ive seen people whos hand looked like it had been gritpapered after they touched one..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom