Buy gauge then upgrade? Or save

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you are much better off with a computer. Since price is an issue, get a wrist mounted model and then have your SPG separate and attched to your first stage on your regulator. Besides the SPG you are still going to need some type of depth gauge and a bottom timer or watch. When you add the price of all that together you have just about paid for your computer.

Are you Nitrox certified? If not, you can pick up air computers for very little money these days.
If you are, you definately want a computer because you will in all probability not be using the manual nitrox tables to plan your dives before you go in the water.

If you plan to use the manual air tables and not use a computer, remember the following facts:
you will be greatly penalized on your bottom time because with the manual tables you have
to plan then entire dive as if it was your deepest depth. The computer will be computing
your multi level dive which is what you are actually doing.
you will have to plan your dive before entering the water and carry a slate or some way to
write down the information you need to know so you won't forget it. Then you can not
deviate from your dive plan or your planning is no good, especially if you are doing more
dives during the day.

Rather than buying gauges and a computer, I bought an air-integrated computer (Sherwood Wisdom 2). Later, I bought an second, wrist-mounted backup computer (Sherwood Insight). Both were good choices.

I've got 65 dives on my Gekko this year, no problems.
It is a conservative computer, and is nitrox capable.

Air integration is a very expensive option. Some people like it, personally I think it cool, just not worth the cost.

You can buy capable new wrist mount computers for <$200, a bit more for nitrox. Couple this with a basic SPG and you have the same performance as a fancy air-integrated computer at a fraction of the cost. If later you decide to but an AI computer (or go technical and want a multi-gas computer), then it becomes a fine backup. Most also can run in gauge mode (depth and bottom timer) if you decide you want the thrill of using tables, you are all set.

Diving tables is always possible, but if you have to buy a dive watch and a depth gauges, you are looking at about the same price (within $50 or so) as an entry level computer. Since the computer can be used in gauge mode, there is no advantage unless you already have the depth gauge or dive watch.

I use a SPG and an old Uwatec bottom timer depth gauge. I have no plans on getting a computer (and I LOVE buying new gear). Most divers with a lot of experience will tell you not to rely on a computer, especially in your formative diving years, plan your dive - dive your plan. A much safer way to learn to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom