Buy gauge then upgrade? Or save

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanEd nails it in his third paragraph. My dives tend to be multi-level with about a hundred levels. The computer tracks N2 (and, for Nitrox computer, O2) in real time and maximizes your bottom time, hence enjoyment. I use tables for redundancy, but after every dive, you're a Z, baby. I would never start a dive without brass & glass in the console, though.

I use a SPG and an old Uwatec bottom timer depth gauge. I have no plans on getting a computer (and I LOVE buying new gear). Most divers with a lot of experience will tell you not to rely on a computer, especially in your formative diving years, plan your dive - dive your plan. A much safer way to learn to dive.

Admirable, maybe, safer, no. Not unless you can provide some evidence that divers who do not use a computer are less likely to get injured. Good luck on that one!

It is an excellent idea for all divers to understand the relationship between diver behavior, dive profiles (planning and execution) and decompression illness. I don't think anyone would dispute that. But, it's a mistake to simply say "divers who learn without computers are safer."

Needabiggerboat:

Where are you diving? To be honest I have never heard anyone express the opinion that you just did. I am not trying to be a wise guy or be negative, but in all the areas I have lived and worked everyone has a computer or is getting one once they finish their OW class. The advantages are so great that it just makes sense if you are going to be diving on a regular basis.

Greeting smartdog126 I have used both and continue to do so. I own a console Oceanic Pro Plus II and then a plain set of console gauges plus the compass. I have used both and as some have said would recommend purchasing which ever would allow you to dive more. Personally I would opt for the gauges first then a wrist computer at a latter time. If you shop around you can find some great deals. I bought my gauges for $140. used with hose ready to roll. I really liked diving the gauges for a change, the computer can make you lazy. Dive tables are important to know in case of a computer failure which I have had and witnessed many times.
I now prefer to dive with a simple brass and glass spg, wrist mounted compass (SK7), and a wrist mount computer (Nitek Duo). I also have a dive watch as a back up dive timer. Take your time and try before you buy if you can. Rent some different configurations if possible and get them in the pool. See what works for you.
Some local dive shops will have a gear demo day at the pool where you can try new things out. Price your options and then consider buying used. I only recommend this because I have found some really great used gear that saved me $$$$ and allowed me to dive more. Go for it and have a blast!
Dive safe and have fun if you have any questions feel free to Pm me.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom