Buying cheap Regulator Set??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is if the OP buys used regs he could certainly be looking at $150 for service. If you buy some ebay set that has internal corrosion problems because someone blew saltwater in it when trying to dry off the cap and then stored it for 3 years in the basement. Also diaphragms and mouthpieces will normally need to be replaced also. I live in Miami and the going rate is between $20-35 a stage plus parts. I am starting to learn how to service my own regulators myself.

I'm a huge advocate for this mindset

I am a lesser advocate. First, any name brand scuba company does not put out junk. The liability issues involved would be too high. Second, sometimes there is not a lot of differences between models. For example an Apeks TX-20 is just as good as a TX-50 if you don't want or need cold-water performance or adjustability. The difference is a metal tube vs plastic and the adjustment knob. Look at the schematics of regulators and match the part numbers you will be surprised.

Expensive regs cost a lot.

Non-explosive regs...well...errrr...don't explode. I suppose that nonexplosive regs could be either expensive or inexpensive.

Thanks for the laugh Bubbletrubble.... :rofl3:

Second, sometimes there is not a lot of differences between models. For example an Apeks TX-20 is just as good as a TX-50 if you don't want or need cold-water performance or adjustability. The difference is a metal tube vs plastic and the adjustment knob. Look at the schematics of regulators and match the part numbers you will be surprised.
@ams511: By "metal tube vs. plastic" are you referring to the valve body/spindle?
I don't own the Apeks T20. I do know that the T20 lacks an inhalation adjustment knob and the heat exchanger nut. I was not aware that the valve body/spindle was made of plastic. AFAIK, the T20 uses the same valve body/spindle as the TX40 and TX50 (part# AP 2028). At some point, I was considering putting together a stage/deco reg consisting of the AT20 (newer version of the T20). If it has a plastic valve body, then I'll probably go farther up the Apeks line (XTX/ATX/TX40).

Or are you talking about a different metal/plastic tube?

Last edited:
I am a lesser advocate. First, any name brand scuba company does not put out junk. The liability issues involved would be too high. Second, sometimes there is not a lot of differences between models. For example an Apeks TX-20 is just as good as a TX-50 if you don't want or need cold-water performance or adjustability. The difference is a metal tube vs plastic and the adjustment knob. Look at the schematics of regulators and match the part numbers you will be surprised.
Just to play the devils advocate (you started it :), I initially opted for "cheap" 1st stage regulators for my pony and argon bottles. I don't remember the price or brand (but I can dig that up if you care). The point being I was going for "cheap", mostly because these weren't part of my primary life support. Some time after I bought these the company went out of businesss. Last time I had my regs serviced both 1st stages were out of spec, had no repair parts, and had to be replaced. That cost me a lot more than if I had purchased a decent (name-brand), mid-range set in the first place.

As for my primary regs, I knew I'd be diving mostly in cold water so I purchased accordingly.

No one has asked the OP what he/she plans to do diving wise. If he just wants to do warm water diving a couple of times a year, a "value" regulator may be just fine. I personally bought a value Tusa set with dive computer on a console which has worked fine for 300+ warm Carribean dives. If I was a cold water diver or tec diver, this would never have worked. I now know I love diving and spend tens of thousands of dollar traveling each year for diving (with spouse), so, buying new top end regulators isn't a big deal. However, in the beginning after open water certification in a lake with less than 5' visability, I couldn't justify the top end models. Also, it is so much nicer to have your own regs and computers that you are familiar with -- so, a value set may make sense in some circumstances.

But, if the OP knows they really love diving and are going to spend considerable time and money doing this -- and they have the budget -- they probably should buy the best set they can afford.

Duplicate post.

Last edited:
Leisurepro is also selling Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo for just $65. Use that for price matching at other stores to get the ultimate deal.

I certainly won't buy a reg based on price cus servicing can be a pain when overseas n parts are an issue, for that same reason I prefer companies that have proven regs that aren't changed every season or so.

Companies like Apeks, aqualung, scubapro & sherwood are generally easy to service n parts aren't going to be an issue.

In hindsight I would have saved myself quite a bit of $ had I gotten a Apeks DS4/XTX50 from the start.

My 2 cents.

SangP

Leisurepro is also selling Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo for just $65. Use that for price matching at other stores to get the ultimate deal.
This has been discussed at length here on SB many times before... Leisure Pro is considered a grey market dealer for some of their products, and you often can't take their prices to your LDS to get any kind of deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom