Buying new BP/W on SAT....need advice!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pants!:
Surface swimming? How so? I never have my wing fully inflated on the surface..

Seems to me that having on lots of neoprene, which will compress significantly at depth, is the cause for needing lots of lift, not surface swimming.

Good point ... I was neglecting the effects of diving in a 7-mil.

Mine was that the Venture didn't even have adequate lift to keep my head comfortably afloat while fully inflated. I think this is a nice wing for warm water, but not for supporting a cold water configuration.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Good point ... I was neglecting the effects of diving in a 7-mil.

Mine was that the Venture didn't even have adequate lift to keep my head comfortably afloat while fully inflated. I think this is a nice wing for warm water, but not for supporting a cold water configuration.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Ah, OK. I agree that could be a problem as well, particularly in the ocean or Great Lakes.

thanks for the advice. i realize that there is like 11lbs or so built into the BP. plus i plan on buy a big steel tank as well so maybe the Trek is a better wing choice since I do dive the great lakes. Thanks!!!!!!

I've got a Venture wing and really like it. I've used it with big steel singles/wetsuit/canister light and always had enough lift. YMMV.

I have a very similar setup, I just chose the halcyon ACB weigh pouches instead, I find them more comfotable under water but they do use up a lot of belt space. The DUI weight belt looks nice too but is a bit big for me as I only have to wear 11lbs with the SS backpate to get down.

Anyhow, as many people have been saying, you'll be pushing the venture wing to the limit if you're diving deep in cold water with a thick wetsuit. I know my venture wing is pretty full when I'm using my HP steel 80s. I've never had the overpressure valve go though so there's a little room left for me to spare.

It's a great wing though, I really really like it.

Don't rush out and spend all that hard earned overtime so quickly. Do some more research. There are a lot of choices out there. After all my research, the Oxycheq wings were my choice. I'm not saying they will be the best choice for you, but take your time. The money will still be there in a few weeks.

Dive-aholic:
Don't rush out and spend all that hard earned overtime so quickly. Do some more research. There are a lot of choices out there. After all my research, the Oxycheq wings were my choice. I'm not saying they will be the best choice for you, but take your time. The money will still be there in a few weeks.

I agree 100% with this post, do a research and take your time, that way you'll be getting exactly what you want.
Depending on your area, service may or may not be an issue.
If you go Dive Rite, that would be a great choice, just look around and compare, you may find some items that other manufacturers incorporated an aditional feature that you may find usefull for your dive style.

If you allready did your research, then go ahead and get your gear.

Back
Top Bottom