Buying new photo/video camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mat 14 mm behind a flat port will give you 77.5 degrees diagonal in water which is short of the minimum 80 degrees you typically want in video
I agree barrel distortion is uncool in video I typically would look at flat ports with a wet lens giving between 80-90 with a preference of course for 90
However flat ports at focal lengths below 35mm give horrible pincushion distortion, this is the reason why they are mostly only used for macro where you are over 60mm
I think you should look more in detail at the theory before making purchases a good link is Flat port theory

I have looked at your vimeo it looks like you have an amphibico housing and a sony?

Hey Interceptor 121,
thanks a lot for the info. I think I have some more research to do, and questions to ask the distributor...
Camerasunderwater do some wet wide angle lenses, but I think the results look horrible:
Cameras Underwater: INON UWL-100 coverage chart.
That's from a £325 lens, and the image is "bulging" (assuming the card is really rectangular).
Everything on my vimeo page was done with the same set-up: Sony PDX10 with a Sony 0.7 WA lens screwed onto the front, housed inside an old Undersea Video Housings case (fully electronic, sadly no longer made). The distance between the WA lens and the inside of the front FLAT port is just a few mm. External red filter. Never had any distortion of any kind, right through the zoom range!
Thanks again.
Matt

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom