Compact Camera - 4/3 sensor and can shoot slow-mo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vemura

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I'm an amateur and am looking for a compact camera that has a 4/3 sensor for great photos, and is good at shooting slow motion video? I believe that would be 1080p at 120fps.

i've been looking at the Panasonic Lumix LX100 M2 which is great for uw photos. It has a 4K at 30fps setting, but it doesn't seem to have a higher frame rate video setting, as far as I know, and I could be wrong. That seems to be the only downside of it for my use.

I've looked at the Sony RX100 Marks, and the Canon G7X M2.

Mirrorless is definitely not my tier yet.

Any suggestions on models I could check out? Please be gentle, I'm new, and I definitely do not want a TG. I'd like something I can grow for a long, long, long time with, in terms of taking photos and videos, for which I'll use slow motion.

It seems that if you want to have videos 4k and more then 30fps you have to do a big step into one of these models: Sony A7 S3 / Panasonic GH 5 / FX3 / A7IV / FX 30 / GH5, GH6 / A7RV.

Vemura, you might want to check out the LX10. I use it for video and am really pleased with the results. It can shoot 60fps at 1080 and even go up to 120fps for super slo mo.

If you are going to do any video I highly recommend filming in at least 60fps. The 2x slow motion is not as noticeable as you would think and it gives a lot of stability and smoothness to your shots. I am ok with 'regular' HD and don't find I need 4k resolution most of the time.

As m_BK says, 4k 60fps requires a pretty big step up. The camera is pricer and the housing even more so. I'd take the trade off for lower price in 1080 60p every day.

Will your focus be primarily stills or video? If you just want to do video, you could honestly consider a GoPro which does 60p 4k

Back
Top Bottom