Buying ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
getting a MK16 and R380 with an SKO Octo. How am I doing? I am a novice, this is all new to me. Did some poking around on internet and SCUBApro seems to have high ratings.

Rodale's summary in their 2001 Tester's choice says "known for their high quality and high performance. Doesn't look like you can go far wrong. HOwever, they recommended the Mk20.

I can't seem to find info on the MK 16, it is either the MK 14 or the MK 20 that is rated. I am a bit frustrated by that. Of course the ScubaPro website has it and it seems great, not sure on the cost comparison or comparison to the MK 20.

I rented a Mk20/G250 and a MK16/R380. I couldn't tell any difference in the ease of breathing between the two. Nothing scientific, but I was trying to be "aware" of the breathing characteristics. The MK16/R380 is the combo one of the LDS's uses for their rental gear. I bought the MK16/R380 because it was about $150.00 cheaper. I have had no problems and love it. I understand it has a different design than other SP regs, but I don't service my own gear so ???.
If I had the $ I would have got a MK25/S600, but...
I don't think you will go wrong with any of the SP products.
Regards,
Bill

Thanks Bill and from some further research I've done on my own I am seeing that it looks like a good rig.

And I agree... Life is good.

Shellbird,

I own a MK20, S600 and G250. These regs are tops, soo good infact that I'm looking at getting 2 more MK20/25 1st stages and 2 more G250's (not the S600 as the G250's are bullet proof, easier to service and the fronts aren't locked on by an annoying little pin - binned mine long ago, the pin that is!).

If your looking at getting a complete reg assembly then I'd consider maybe getting the same octo as your primary (ie. 2 G250's) this way you only require one spares kit!

TTFN - Dave.

shellbird,

i've used a MK20 and S550 for about a year and half now without any complaints. just brought it to the shop for the yearly service check-up about 2 months ago. G250 seems to get the same comments from the divers i get, "trusty workhorse". i intended to get the G250, but the dive shop i went to pushed the S550, saying they didn't have stock of the G250. i guess the shop just wanted to get more money out of me.

I use a MK16/S550 and love it! The MK16 is a diaphram first stage and the MK20 is a piston. They are both balanced. Supposedly, the balanced piston performs better on computer testing, but the difference is minimal on computer testing, and undectectable in recreational diving. The main difference I find between the two is I can be lazy about rinsing a diaphram reg. Water actually flows into a piston reg, while on a diaphram, the reg is sealed (ambiant pressure is on the diaphram). So...I can wait a few dives before soaking my gear without too much worry.

One thing about the R380. I'm sure your dive shop will tell you, but the R380 second stage is set in the "storage mode". There is a little nob on the front of the face plate that has to be switched to active mode..or else the reg will free flow as soon as you get in the water. Reason for this: the storage mode takes the pressure off some little bit (don't you love the techincal terms!) and keeps the other little bit from wearing out. Once you switch it though, it work just fine.

Hope this helps!

I use a MK220 and a S550 while my wife uses the MK16 and R380.The only real difference that i could tell was buddy breathing off the mk16 setup.With the mk 20 i didnt notice any difference buddy breathing or not.The mk16 you could tell you had another person breathing off of the first stage.This may be a problem a 100 feet down and maybe not even then.Even though there was slightly more resistance while doing ooa/buddy breathing drills it was still smooth just not as smooth as the mk20.Other than that the Mk16 is a great buy along with the R380.Hope this helps!!

I too was looking at a SP reg. I have heard from a lot of people that they are great regs. It was the mk16 I was looking at. For the rest of you, thanks for the great info! This confirms that this warm water whimp will be happy with a SP reg!

Kristey:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom