Buying Suunto from LDS or LeisurePro and warranty info..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who needs a warranty? You could always buy a replacement computer from Leisure Pro and still spend the same on 2 computers as you would have on 1 at an LDS. If you really want a warranty, ScubaToys.com is an authorized dealer but may cost a bit more.

I bought an Oceanic Versa Pro from an authorized dealer that was recently recalled. I just dealt directly with Oceanic since I could hand it to UPS just as easy as the LDS could. These days "service" really means the pre-sale consultation which I don't want or need. Other than that, there are techincal services but all of my regs from 2 LDS's have come back "honking" or "free flowing" after servicing. So all of my regs will now go AirTech Scuba in North Carolina. That just leaves air fills so my LDS's just doesn't provide that much value to me. I could always buy a compressor on my own with some dive buddies.

It's true that the LDS will need to send a defective computer back to the company. However the LDS normally just has to call the company on the phone and get confirmation that it is covered and a replacement will be sent. Then they can just give you a new one out of their in store stock. The process takes about five minutes compared to 4 to 6 weeks to maybe get a new one back from LP after you pay to ship it to them.

In the case of a computer the warranty is worth a lot more than it would be for an item like regulator. If a regulator develops a problem, it is virtually always due to one easily replaceable and fairly inexpensive part. In contrast if a computer quits, it completely quits and needs to go back to the factory for what is always an expensive repair given the complexity of opening and resealing the case.

When you consider that the failure rates on most computer models are in the 5% range, it's an expensive bet that you will not have a need for the warranty.

Battery replacement is also a killer on any model that does not have user replaceable batteries. Uwatec's prices are in the $200-$400 range for grey market or non-original owner battery replacement, so buying online makes no sense in the long run.

TexasScubaDiver:
Who needs a warranty? You could always buy a replacement computer from Leisure Pro and still spend the same on 2 computers as you would have on 1 at an LDS. If you really want a warranty, ScubaToys.com is an authorized dealer but may cost a bit more.

I bought an Oceanic Versa Pro from an authorized dealer that was recently recalled. I just dealt directly with Oceanic since I could hand it to UPS just as easy as the LDS could. These days "service" really means the pre-sale consultation which I don't want or need. Other than that, there are techincal services but all of my regs from 2 LDS's have come back "honking" or "free flowing" after servicing. So all of my regs will now go AirTech Scuba in North Carolina. That just leaves air fills so my LDS's just doesn't provide that much value to me. I could always buy a compressor on my own with some dive buddies.
While ScubaToys is an authorized dealer for several manufacturers, they are not authorized to set or modify factory warantees. If you buy online from ScubaToys and the manufacturer has a policy against online sales, it is likely that you will not have a 'valid' factory warantee.

In addition to pre-sale consultation, there are other advantages of dealing with the LDS. As an individual, you have less power with the manufacturer. I wasted weeks going back and forth with Suunto support. One phone call from the LDS to their contact and the ball was rolling.

Trever:
Are you willing to pay $250.00 for a warranty? I purchased a New in Box Uwatec Aladin prime 3 guage console on Ebay for $212.00. The LDS had a price of $570.00. I saved $358.00.( 63% savings). I understand I did not get a warranty but if the LDS sold the computer to me without a warranty for $212.00 and offered me a warranty for an extra $358.00 I wouldn't buy the warranty. In my Opinion having a warranty is worth about 10% of the total price. Anymore than that and you are throwing money away. just my 2 psi.

I agree with the above comment. Hey, buy two at that price and sell one to your LDS.:lol: Suunto probably sold the computer to LP in the first place anyway.

Let me also add that LP DOES offer a MATCHING warranty. They will MATCH whatever warranty the manufacturer offers and I have never had a problem with this matching policy. For example, free parts on Scuba Pro for life, they have matched and given that to me on my Scuba Pro regs when I take them to them. SO, I have said it a million times, LP DOES offer a warranty, their warranty, I have used it, and I am always happy. I have purchased A LOT of gear and I have taken several trips with the money I have saved by shopping online or at other good LDS's that will price match or come close.

It's your choice. I don't rely on my LDS heavily for support though. You might.

BTW, LP does now have a full time employee that is a dive instructor. Nice guy.

scubadobadoo:
Let me also add that LP DOES offer a MATCHING warranty. They will MATCH whatever warranty the manufacturer offers and I have never had a problem with this matching policy. For example, free parts on Scuba Pro for life, they have matched and given that to me on my Scuba Pro regs when I take them to them. SO, I have said it a million times, LP DOES offer a warranty, their warranty, I have used it, and I am always happy. I have purchased A LOT of gear and I have taken several trips with the money I have saved by shopping online or at other good LDS's that will price match or come close.

It's your choice. I don't rely on my LDS heavily for support though. You might.

THat's a great warantee, but you have to send your regs back to LP for service to have it it honored. My lds won't honor it. If it comes down to it, I can get my regs serviced in one day at the LDS. How long for LP?

dherbman:
THat's a great warantee, but you have to send your regs back to LP for service to have it it honored. My lds won't honor it. If it comes down to it, I can get my regs serviced in one day at the LDS. How long for LP?

A week or so for me, just like at the other LDS's in my area, but at more than half the price. LP charges 39.99 with free parts for an annual. Other LDS's charge double or triple that. None of the LDS's around me will do a reg set in one day. You are lucky. If your LDS will fix stuff in one day then you have a good LDS and don't need to shop online. That convenience does come with a price that is apparently worth it to you, in your case. Not me. I will take the several scuba vacations with the money I have saved buying online over your one day service advantage. In over 200 dives I have never had to call a dive because of gear failure. Crap happens of course, but not often enough to pay double or triple for me.

I still say buy two at the same price and have a backup.

Please note that the above comments aren't jabs at your LDS. I think it's great if you have a relationship with them and you both are happy with it. Just remember that not all LDS's are good. Many of them suck and I know that's true because every dive shop I have been in has told me that the others suck, lol.:D

That sounds OK, but I can't go that long without my regs. After service, I'll try them in the pool before leaving the shop. If I don't like what I find, they deal with it on the spot. That's one of the reasons I support my LDS.

dherbman:
That sounds OK, but I can't go that long without my regs. After service, I'll try them in the pool before leaving the shop. If I don't like what I find, they deal with it on the spot. That's one of the reasons I support my LDS.

That is a very good reason to deal with them! I'm sure there are many more too.:wink:

dherbman:
That's one of the reasons I support my LDS.

Is that the shop that you instruct through? I thought that might be another reason.

awap:
Is that the shop that you instruct through? I thought that might be another reason.

I'm not an instructor, but I am a DCS through the shop. I purchased virtually all my gear and my wife's gear about a year prior to becoming a DCS. My reasons for buying at the LDS have not changed since that purchase.

Any other thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom