Bye Suunto, been nice knowing you...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just used my Suunto Gekko that was sitting unused for 2 years. Worked fine, and the battery was still over 50%.

Just posted as another reference point.

Yeah... it should have been fine. The fact that it wasn't is strong evidence that there's a problem with this model -- especially because this is apparently "common."

The fact that Suunto wouldn't do anything except say "oh well, buy a new one" shows their customer service stinks. Even Oceanic is willing to discount a new computer if we give them this old one... Very sad that it's own manufacturer won't do jack.

Diver0001: life changes. Left the tropics to get an MBA and was hired in my primary industry as an IT manager. Now diving is something that happens on vacations. I'll try and stick around SB a bit more... the last while has been pretty busy!

A couple months ago I was talking with a Suunto dealer (shop owner). I mentioned that I had a Cobra too. He read the comment as a Cobra Two and went into a nice chat about how that model of computer was the worst product Suunto has ever put on the market.

Kris, if it makes you feel any better, Warren (shop owner) has just as hard a time with Suunto customer service as you do.

I have owned a couple of Suuntos. Both thought that the kitchen sink was 30+ meters deep.
Suunto support was really quick and painfull.
"Yeah, common problem and nothing that we can do but we will give you a 10% discount on a new one"

I own a Galileo now.

I'm a bit of a newbie and made the mistake of buying a used Cobra off of a guy (who I found out was/is a PADI instructor). The depth sensor was toast and didn't work on my first dive with it so I talked to a bunch of folks and sent it in to Suunto. I explained that I had purchased it secondhand and had no receipt or warranty. They took their time assessing it and a week later told me that it was dead and needed a whole new computer assembly. I mistakenly thought they were going to replace the whole unit so I paid the $345. and had them do the work. Turns out that they only replace the computer and install it in the old case. Bummer. I had it repaired because based on my conversation with the Suunto service person on the phone, they were going to replace the unit with a new one. Had I known that it was going to be just the interior part I wouldn't have had them do the repair since I was planning on selling the unit to get out from under it. So, almost $600. into it now and looking to unload it. At least I know the electronics are new....

I almost bought a Cobra II a few years ago but the LDS suggested an Atomic Cobalt. I researched it and liked what I read. Had the LDS (in Denver0 send me one in Kuwait. I have had a love affair with it since. I was out of diving for about 6 months and the battery would not hold a charge. Atomic had me ship it to them and within a week decided it would be "quicker" to send me a new one. For a console computer I cannot think of a better computer & customer support than Atomic.

BTW...I also love my Petrel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom