C & C - wreck photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah... Like Mike said, keep them a little loose. Not so loose that they flop around, but i usually (after I get to the bottom) loosen (freely moving) the clamps, then re-tighten just enough to hold the arms steady. Also, I have found that certain positions of the arms make it easier to move the strobes where I want them to be.

Wow, you really like to jump in the deep end! That's a tough shot to nail and you've done a good job to get started.

Strobe positioning is tough but fundamental, so it's important to get comfortable with early in your shooting, so I would start there. You can practice at home on land even. Also try to visualise the cone of light coming from each of your strobes. Once underwater, turn the camera to face you and take a few moments to picture how the light is going to spill from your strobes and reposition them. Obviously you will need to tweak them as you create shots, but knowing what your "base" setting is will make that faster in practice as well as helping you to understand what will happen in a given situation more quickly.

If I were taking that shot, my shutter would be considerably higher than 1/60 to keep the background darker and hopefully not blow that left hand corner as much. Making the aperture smaller would also help, as has been pointed out.

It doesn't look like you were getting any rays from the sun in those conditions (you can see them with your eye alone most of the time) so I might have even moved positions slightly to eliminate some or all of the sun as all it was going to do was add a big bright blurb.

Still nice captures and I do look forward to seeing more shots!

alcina:
If I were taking that shot, my shutter would be considerably higher than 1/60 to keep the background darker and hopefully not blow that left hand corner as much. Making the aperture smaller would also help, as has been pointed out.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts Alcina -they are very helpful. The shutter speed is one thing I was wondering about. I was metering the background like I was taught on the course so I could get the blue (try anyway!) The viz was poor and while the light looks bright, it wasn't really. I guess I could have tried 1/80 or 1/100 but I think maybe after that it would have been getting too dark:confused: Obviously this is a situation where I should have bracketed my shutter speeds. This is the original RAW file to give you an idea of the colour when taken.

Edenunedited134.jpg

I guess, much like moving my strobes, I'll get faster at that too so by the time I have made an adjustement the subject is still in the frame:) Who would have thought a jelly fish could move so fast:rofl3:

thanks!
Mel.b

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom