C-Card Recognition: Myth or Fact?

Were you ever denied a service or boat ride based upon C-card brand?

• Yes, I have been denied a service or trip based upon brand.

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • No, I have never been denied a service or trip based upon brand.

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • I have never had problems based upon brand, but had problems based upon the rating on the card.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I have never had any problems having a C-card accepted.

Votes: 127 74.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never had any issue having my cards accepted, but they are mainstream and they are for the level of diving I do.
I have dived with two types of dive ops. The ones that just want your creditcard and the ones that actually KEEP your c-card (and copy of your creditcard) untill you check out.
My most frequented op wanted to see AOW or higher first couple of times, then it became "can I have one of your cards please". They know I hold the cards, but they want to keep one on file while Im there. Usually I just give them my nitrox card along with "that unlimited nitrox deal?" just to get it confirmed that its on my bill already.. €30 for 2 weeks usually works out to less than €1 a tank so why not..

I wonder how the C-card "collectors" are going to adapt to the more and more common electronic C-cards, the ones on your smart phone.

I wonder how the C-card "collectors" are going to adapt to the more and more common electronic C-cards, the ones on your smart phone.
If I where collecting cards (which Im not) I wouldnt.. Kinda the same way as Im collecting certain movies and series I want the DVDs.. But thats just me, the "not a card collector, but a simpsons collector"..

No no Tigerman, not that, I was referring to the operators which collect the customers cards while they're out diving, THOSE C-card collectors

I don't keep taking classes to collect cards either, but I'm not sure what that means to be honest, I have more C-cards than I can hold with one hand, but how else can we go from OW to full trimix/full cave, become an MSDT and taking some GUE classes along the way and not have a ton of C-cards?

If I where collecting cards (which Im not) I wouldnt.. Kinda the same way as Im collecting certain movies and series I want the DVDs.. But thats just me, the "not a card collector, but a simpsons collector"..

Ahaa. Well, they are going to have to keep digital records of their customers cards instead of physical ones I guess.
To be honest there is one thing I DO NOT like in the least with everything being more and more digital and that is that everything is more and more online.. Server or internet goes down? Sorry, you're up a creek with no paddle - and infact the canoe is leaking badly too..

I can think of only one time my C-card was collected, but this was at a dive "destination" (Gilli T on Lombock) and it was more of an incentive to come back and pay my bill. Much better IMHO than asking to keep a credit card.

Unless people know me, all the boats I've gone on (as well as shops to get air/nitrox the first time) have asked to physically see a C card. Interesting that no one anywhere has EVER asked to see a log book. Another idea--The poll may be better if those with major well known agency cards didn't vote?

No one asks for a c-card around here. Maybe on vacation but even then it is the exception rather than the rule. Last time I dove warm water, in Rapa Nui, the shop owner asked about experience he did not give a damm about c-cards.

My buddy who has an old NASDS card has been given a hard time about it numerous times. Apparently it was good for quite a bit more than regular OW is these days. I get the impression that diving used to be less about making money on card sales and more about diving. For example; they balked at Ginnie Springs but eventually relented and let him dive after we talked to a "supervisor".

Several ops I've dove with asked if I had a card but didn't actually care to see it. Some ask you to write the card# on a waiver. Some want you to show plastic and write the number on a waiver.

There is definitely a correlation to an operation selling cards and the likelihood the operator will ask to see your card.

Yeah, OR there is a correlation between an op not asking to see your card and "cowboy diving"... or both...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom