CA diving: catalina v channel islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my favorite getaways is camping at Two Harbors on Catalina Island. Lugging camping gear and diving gear there can be a pain but during lobster season it's so worth it.

drbill once bubbled...
Much as I love Catalina diving, conditions have been awful this year.
Dr. Bill

You're so right, I dove Catalina a week or so ago and viz was about 10 ft and in some areas it was 5ft.

The Pacific Star out of Redondo Beach is a nice boat as well. Very roomy and comfortable, and the staff is great also.

holy schmoly!

Big thanks for all your suggestions, I really didn't expect so many replies. This board rocks!

So far, the Peace boat seems very popular and camping at 2 Harbors in Catalina actually sounds really interesting.

drbill once bubbled...
Thanks scubasean for recognizing that Catalina is one of the eight Channel Islands! There are eight of them, four northern and four southern. Even some in the scientific community seem to forget this but those who belong to the "All Eight Club" (topside or underwater) realize it.

Much as I love Catalina diving, conditions have been awful this year. I've heard similar stories all up and down the coast. I really enjoy diving the Truth Aquatics boats out of Santa Barbara and the Peace out of Ventura when I'm diving the borthern islands.

There's good diving to be had at all eight!

Dr. Bill

Can you tell me when lobster season is? Also, what channell island would you reccomend for hunting them?

gbrandon once bubbled...
Can you tell me when lobster season is? Also, what channell island would you reccomend for hunting them?
Begins at 12:00 AM on September 28. That's midnight Friday, or early Saturday morning, depending on how you like to look at it. Which works out well, cause a night dive is usually the best way to nab them. (For me, anyway, you'll get as many opinions on this as you do _IR.) All of the Channel Islands are pretty good hunting, but there are a lot of game preserves, so make sure of where you are diving.

If you're boat diving, a good Captain won't put you in a preserve, and perhaps I've been lucky, but I haven't had a bad Captain yet. So you should be ok.

Make sure you have a California fishing license, with an ocean enhancment stamp. Lobsters must be 3 1/4 inches long at the caripace, and you must have an accurate lobster gage on your person when hunting. Bag limit is 7 per day, and they can only be caught (when diving), by hand. No snares or tickle sticks, gloved hand only.

Good Hunting!

http://diver.net/bbs/

Which is a California SCUBA Diving BBS.

Roak

As mentioned previously, all of the Channel Islands offer great diving, and each island offers a unique experience. A liveaboard for 2-3 days would give you a variety of those experiences. If it's a night on town after you dive, Catakina is a lot of fun.

whats the average size of the lobsters in around the islands?

Well, that's really hard to say, they are spot known for producing big bugs, and there are places where every bug is just a tiny bit short.

Back
Top Bottom