Cabo San Lucas Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After extensive research, we decided to do our diving with Manta. Since we were staying on the “other side” of the marina, we were given daily rides to the shop from the Main Dock (about a block and-a-half from our room) in one of Manta’s boats. This was a nice service, saving us a good deal of money in cab fare.

Manta has three boats, the Manta (28&#8217:wink:, the Manta I (35’ equipped with fresh water shower hose and head) and the Mantita (26&#8217:wink:. We spent all our time on the Manta and Mantita. Both had ample shade (which was good, since it was 90+ degrees each day with extremely high humidity), but there was no a lot of room to move around. Being a full-service dive op, Manta divemasters set up our gear prior to each dive. I double-checked both my gear and that of my buddy before splashing each time and never found anything out of place, air was always on, etc.

Though we did not rent gear (outside of tanks/weights), I did have the opportunity to see their rental gear in the shop and in use by other divers. Everything appeared to be in good condition and I heard no complaints nor saw any problems with their equipment.

Manta has to be the safest outfit I have ever dived with. The very first site you go to when you begin diving with them is Pelican Rock. This is an easy dive, albeit deep, where the divemasters check your buoyancy, ease in the water, etc.

Method of entry is backroll off the side. Getting back on board is a bit trickier. Once you complete a dive, you have to remove your gear in the water and hand it up to a crew member, then climb a metal ladder that’s hooked over the side of the boat. Thanks goodness I had my Wheaties before this trip.

We found one divemaster to be a bit “touchy” with the marine life, which I have been told is the norm in that area. When he would pull an octopus out of his lair or make a puffer puff up, I would simply swim on by without taking a photo. A second divemaster, Mark, was much more “hands off” and it was clear he had a great respect for nature. He also took great pains to educate us about what we were seeing and could expect.

At the end of each day, Manta gave us a ride back to the Main Dock. In addition, they not only stored our equipment securely in their shop, but carried it from the shop to the boat and back each day.

In addition to local and Corridor diving, Manta offers day trips to Cabo Pulmo, Gorda Banks and La Paz. However, due to hurricane activity in the area, we were not able to take advantage of either of these expeditions.

OUR DIVES

Bottom composition was mainly rock and sand. This was very different diving than what we’re used to (Caribbean and tropical Atlantic), but still very nice, despite the churned up water and limited viz. We saw king angels, Moorish idols, goatfish, yellowtail surgeonfish, various eels, pompanos, cornetfish, groupers and hundreds of different variety of puffers on each dive. We repeated a couple sites, due to poor overall conditions. Safety stops were spent swimming around in shallow areas looking for critters instead of just “hanging out”, which was nice.

Day One
Pelican Rock/AKA Sand Falls (20-100&#8217:wink:: 35-40’ viz., octopus, large scorpionfish, an orange Pacific seahorse, eels

North Wall (10’-90&#8217:wink:: 25-40’ viz, solitary eagle ray on descent, eels, large frogfish

Day Two
Chileno (10-50&#8217:wink:: Viz at this site was 10-15’ at best, due to Hurricane John, which had just recently passed through here, and another hurricane which was currently making its way up the Corridor. Due to so much debris in the water and huge amount of surge, I took no photos, but enjoyed the dive nonetheless. Completing this dive was a personal accomplishment for me in that I had never done an ocean dive in less than 50’ viz nor with such a large amount of surge.

Santa Maria (15-60&#8217:wink:: Viz opened up to maybe 20-25’ at the end of this dive, orangeside triggers, eels, bumphead and bicolor parrots, Pacific mutton hamlets

Day Three
Pelican Rock: Viz about 40’, bumphead parrot, finescale triggerfish

Neptune’s Finger (25-100&#8217:wink:: Viz approx. 40’, zebra eel, octopus, electric ray, nudibranch, Mexican hogfish

Day Four
Pelican Rock: Viz about 40’.
It was just me, my dive buddy and one other diver (Elizabeth) on the boat, today. Elizabeth had gotten her OW certification some time ago, so had just taken a quick refresher before this day. She was nervous and informed us that she had never dived in the open ocean before. I was quite impressed with the way Mark handled her, encouraging and supporting and all the while reminding and reinforcing skills necessary to make the dive.

My max. depth on this dive was 15’ before pain in my ear precluded me from continuing. I sat out the remainder on the boat, popping a couple Sudafed and hoping to make the next dive.

Neptune’s Finger: Viz 40-45’, small (juvenile?) eagle ray on bottom upon descent, large scorpionfish, two huge Panamic green eels in one lair, garden eels. My ear felt better, so I decided to give this dive a try. Mark reminded me to use the anchor line and to go very slowly, continuously clearing my ears as I went. As a result, I felt no ear discomfort and was able to complete the dive.

All things said, I do plan to return to Cabo San Lucas to dive as well as to Cabo Pulmo and La Paz, when things are a bit less stirred up. I was very impressed with Manta and will not hesitate to use them, again, as well as to recommend them to others travelling to Cabo.

Since this report is a bit lengthy, I will post more, later, regarding lodging, food, activities, etc. Anyone having any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

I have photos that I will post, later, also. Unfortunately, those uncaring heathens at my place of employment insisted upon me returning to work after my trip.:crafty:

Please be gentle with me, I was learning how to use a new camera and the conditions were not ideal.
scorpionfish2.jpg

panamicgreeneel2.jpg

grouper.jpg

We stayed at the Finisterra, which is a moderate resort. They had three very nice pools, a gym, a boutique, two restaurants (reasonable prices, good food) and a business center ($5 per hour for high speed internet use).

Being in the "old" section, there was a hint of musty odor coming from the drawers, but the room was very clean. We were very happy with cleaning staff, who made sure to bring us extra coffee mugs and drinking glasses each morning. There was a coffee maker in the room and the hotel supplied coffee in filter packs, but like Catherine, I chose to take my own.

Our room was situated on the 7th floor on the marina side. My only complaint about its location was that it was so far to walk over uneven rock surface with many stairs/ramps to get to either the elevator or the alternate path down to the main road. If I hadn't been lugging heavy dive gear back and forth in the heat, I wouldn't have minded at all. I like the exercise.

I want to also give kudos to the staff at the lobby. When one person in our party (non-diver) had to be taken to the local hospital, the folks at the front desk helped us communicate with doctors and hospital staff and helped us negotiate how we would pay for medical services, etc. They were a huge help.

Nice trip report, I like the diving around Cabo. Too bad you missed Cabo Pulma and Gordo Banks. We also like the SI's in Cabo too, desert and ocean together is nice. We stay at the Westin Club Regina, great place.

Good report. We love Cabo; friendly people (except for the timeshare salesfolks :D ) & some good non-dive activitities for non divers.

Great photos. When I went diving, something like 75% of my shots were out-of-focus, and of the remainder, 75% were of the rear end of the fish!

Too bad that my next dive is likely cold Monterey, though I'm kind of looking forward to kelp, sea otters, and more kelp :wink:

I was waiting for your report! Good information and well written :wink: Looks like you were satisfied with the dive op and the hotel - That is so important - nothing worse then taking a well deserved vacation and nothing working out.

So, would you want to go there again?

I am planning to go back in the next year, or so, I hope. I definitely want to do more of the Corridor dive sites, as well as Cabo Pulmo and La Paz. Next time, I'll try to go when there are not hurricanes to compete with.

Apparently, I'm going to Hawaii before returning to Cabo! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom