California groundfish regulations and divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ifukuda:
It was never my intension to be rude, but I thought that it was important to understand reality in California...the DFG isn't very flexible when it comes to the interpretation of the regualtions, and the burden of understanding and keeping up-to-date with the latest regulations is placed on anglers and divers.

My frustration with the DFG is furthered by the lack of knowledge by many of the wardens also. For example, in california you cannot take speckled bay scallops but you can harvest rock scallops. At the time I did not know what a speckled bay scallop was and wanted to make sure I didn't take one (they are far different than rock scallops). I asked the warden that was checking all divers at the shore what the difference between the two was and how I could avoid breaking a rule. His response was that he didn't know the difference, but that if I took one he would give me a ticket. I had to walk away before I started fuming right there.

ifukuda:
The California DFG Ocean Fish Regulations might be overwhelming to someone reading it for the first time. I remember having to re-read my first copy of the regulations several times. But, if Californians browbeat the DFG into simplifying the code, the DFG would have no choice but to implement regulations that are much more restrictive than they are now.

The DFG allows anglers/divers to take a given species based on the following restrictions (please correct me if I missed anything):
1) specific geographic area
2) depth
3) season
4) size limits
5) bag limits
6) means of taking
7) boat based angling, shore based angling, diving

Correct, although i suppose your #6 is the same as your #7

ifukuda:
It's my understanding that mid-year changes (ex: early closures) generally occur for the following 2 reasons:
1) when a pre-determined statewide maximum landing limit for the species is reached, or
2) when on-going studies uncover an issue that's so significant, the DFG cannot wait until the following year to implement changes.

Precisely, just like how RCG rules changed for at least one of the regions to continue until the end of the year, giving us december to fish also!!!

ifukuda:
All of this complexity is to insure that we do not not wipe-out marine game in California. The alternative would be to completely ban species that are less than abundant and/or multiply slowly. Considering the alternative, I personally prefer the way things are now. Actually, I think we have it pretty good here California.

I agree with you about not having to have unncessary restrictions. Other states have better systems though, more streamlined across the board for all of hunting or fishing, of course those are typically states whose wildlife department is funded by sportsmen and not by the general fund. What would a government agency be without lots of complex restrictions and red tape. :wink: It does start to get ridiculous when you look at the gear restriction rules. For example, you can fish on the bottom for sanddabs but only with federally approved gear blah blah blah, or salmon: you can fish for halibut with a treble hook until the first salmon is on board, then you cannot. There isn't room here to go into the issues all that stuff bring up, and after all, thats hook and line stuff. Look at the regulations on abalone, or live well rules for bass in freshwater, the list goes on and on.

ifukuda:
If you or an anyone else on this board has questions about the regulations, you should not be shy about calling the DFG and asking for clarification. Or, you can post a question in this forum. I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few California divers here that can steer you in the right direction. If it's something I can answer,
I would be happy to post a reply.

Best regards,

Calling DFG is a good option,they have a hotline with up to date recordings of regional rules or you can talk to a warden by calling a division headquarters office in the area you will be fishing in. Don't expect them to understand the regulations any more than you might be confused by them though, I got passed to 3 people before someone knew the answer to my question, and even then he said he would have a hard time giving someone a ticket if they had the regs and showed them the page.

Back
Top Bottom