California or bust ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm heading down from Seattle on November 01 ... and should be arriving in the Bay area sometime around November 03. Mostly I'll be job-hunting, but I do plan to check out the diving situation as I slowly work my way down the coast.

Was wondering if anyone can point me to some good shore dives ... or might perhaps like to meet and go diving while I'm down there.

I'm an experienced diver (650+ dives).

My job search will eventually take me from S.F. area to San Diego area ... assuming I don't find suitable work along the way.

Also, any recommended dive shops along the way would be appreciated (as well, perhaps, as those I should avoid). Mostly I'll be needing air fills right now, but once I get settled I'd like to find a shop I can call "home" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wecome to California, Bob. If you end up getting a job in the bay area, I'm sure you'll love living there. Expensive to live, but In San Fransisco, Bamboo Reef is a pretty good dive shop. I don't know how far from San Francisco you'll go, but I've done a lot of buisiness with Captain Aqua's in Dublin. I've spend thousands of dollars there. I'm not familiar with a lot of shore dives before you get to Monterey. I'm sure there are plenty however. If you travel down Highway 1, you'll see some of the best views California has to offer between Santa Cruz and S. Cal. In Monterey, Aquarius Dive shop has been good to me, as well as Bamboo Reef (yes, there's one there too), and Monterey Bay Dive Center has been the most friendly. There are a lot of shore dives in Monterey. If you're not already familiar with them, do a search or ask in the S. Cal section. There are quite a few to choose from there.
:guitar:

the sharkman once bubbled...
I'm not familiar with a lot of shore dives before you get to Monterey.

There is a reason for that.

South of the Russian River to north of Moss Landing you are in the heart of the Red Triangle, which is California's great white shark heartland. The beaches are mostly sandy and the water is rough, so underwater vis is zero to 5 ft. No reason to dive there. That is surfing country. We prefer that the GWSs continue to dine on surfboards, rather than develop a taste for wetsuits and drysuits.

The underwater chasm at Moss Landing possibly protects the beaches and shorlines south from any significant GWS incursions. Or maybe something else does. Something does, because a GWS sighting south of Moss Landing is extremely rare, once every 10 years or so. Whereas at Stinson Beach it is an annual event.

Having moved down to Ca from Wa last year, I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the diving.

Monterey has some excellent dive sites.

You need to dive Lobos when your down here, try to do it midweek, you shouldn't have to book much in advance then.

The only thing I really miss is being able to drive 20 or 30 minutes to get wet.

ERP once bubbled...
The only thing I really miss is being able to drive 20 or 30 minutes to get wet.

Driving time to Monterey/Carmel from Santa Cruz: 40 minutes
Driving time to Monterey/Carmel from San Jose: 80 minutes
Driving time to Monterey/Carmel from San Francisco: 120 minutes

Driving time to Sonoma/Mendocino from Santa Cruz / San Jose: 180 minutes
Driving time to Sonoma/Mendocino from San Francisco: 140 minutes

Took me 75 minutes to get to Seacrest this morning ... and that's only 23 miles from my home!

Thanks for all the advice ... I'll be sure to check those places out.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

the sharkman once bubbled...
I don't know how far from San Francisco you'll go, but I've done a lot of buisiness with Captain Aqua's in Dublin. I've spend thousands of dollars there.

I live a mile or so from Captain Aqua's and have *tried* to spend money there and keep getting turned away by poor customer service...Case in point...I went in a few months ago, telling the guy at the counter that I was looking for dive lights, two of them...He spoke with me for a minute, and then said "excuse me"...leaving to take care of a person (reasonable good looking female...) who wanted info about Monterey diving...I may be wrong, but I didn't hear or see anything to give me an impression that this person was spending money...Twenty minutes later, I was still there waiting to ask him one or two more questions to close the sale...So, I drove south and made the purchase....

I drive 40 minutes south to Diver Dans now....in Santa Clara...

So ... what's the best way to hook up with dive buddies once I get down there? Drop by an LDS? Or is there an online resource for local diving?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom