Road trip from Savannah to Las Vega$. Where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Struck

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sippin' cholla juice under the shade of a mesquite
I’m driving my daughter out to Savannah for school at the end of December/beginning of January. From there I’ll be heading back to La Vegas and wanted to take about a week toodling back checking out a few diving spots along the way.

I’ll probably drop down to Jacksonville Florida, cruise the I-10 across Texas and dip down to Corpus Christi before scampering back across New Mexico and Arizona. Would mostly be looking at shore diving to save a few bucks (that whole kid in college thing).

What are some places I should try to get to along my route? Should have at least three days to stop for diving depending on when I pull out of Savannah.

Also, is there any halfway decent shore diving near Savannah itself? Not expecting much given the turbid waters of the rivers dumping out there.

Purely my opinion, that's a lot of miles to drive in a week. Bump it up to 10 to 14 days if you can, and either way choose to experience an area (Florida caves, Corpus Christi, or whatever; driving pretty much cross country there is no shortage of options, just in my personal opinion preferably not packing in as much diving as physically possible as opposed to experiencing the diving...)

It could be cold but if passing through New Mexico our #1 dive spot is the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa. Water is always 62-65F, the difference will be how cold when you get out.

Purely my opinion, that's a lot of miles to drive in a week. Bump it up to 10 to 14 days if you can, and either way choose to experience an area (Florida caves, Corpus Christi, or whatever; driving pretty much cross country there is no shortage of options, just in my personal opinion preferably not packing in as much diving as physically possible as opposed to experiencing the diving...)

Was thinking about this too. My original plan was to drive a day, dive a day, drive a day, etc. Will likely be sleeping in my pickup at truck stops along the way.

Unless there is a particular reason you are dipping down to Corpus Christi, I'd skip that 6 hour detour. Galveston is an hour south of Houston and has significantly more to do than Corpus.

Dive wise, Balmorhea state park has diving (Balmorhea State Park Swimming and Scuba Diving — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department) and is just south of I-10. There is also the Valhalla Missile Silo dive out that direction (in west Texas proximity anyway, it's closer to I-20 than I-10). Trip Report - Valhalla Missile Silo Dive

Buddies might be a problem at either site though if you are by yourself.

It could be cold but if passing through New Mexico our #1 dive spot is the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa. Water is always 62-65F, the difference will be how cold when you get out.
Unless there is a particular reason you are dipping down to Corpus Christi, I'd skip that 6 hour detour. Galveston is an hour south of Houston and has significantly more to do than Corpus.

Dive wise, Balmorhea state park has diving (Balmorhea State Park Swimming and Scuba Diving — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department) and is just south of I-10. There is also the Valhalla Missile Silo dive out that direction (in west Texas proximity anyway, it's closer to I-20 than I-10). Trip Report - Valhalla Missile Silo Dive

Buddies might be a problem at either site though if you are by yourself.

I'll echo all three of these recommendations, mostly. I dived all three a few times while living in Lubbock, as they were the only dive locations within easy driving distance.

The Blue Hole is unique and fun. I recommend getting there early in the a.m. because in my experience, an overweighted n00b will likely smash into the bottom and wreck the viz for the day.

Balmorhea is a glorified swimming pool with a gravel bottom that burbles from upwelling springwater. It's a simple but amusing dive. And you can dive with the endangered Comanche Springs pupfish, which is kinda cool in and of itself.

Valhalla is a unique experience. There's not a lot to see, but the experience alone is the draw. Plus, at the time I dived it, the operator gave you a souvenir t-shirt. I gotta say, though, schlepping your gear down (and then back up) the access stairways is a fricking chore.

Back
Top Bottom