Calling all S95 owners. What settings, Experienced with SLR full manual.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys, just playing around with my S95 at the moment and i was wondering what settings you guys are using underwater.

Iv paired it with a RecSea + Ys-01 strobe (ttl)

My question is what settings do you guys use underwater and what results do you have...My understanding is that TTL wont work properly in manual mode?....Is this true.

Iv spent the past 8months using a d7000 on full manual, same with strobe, no ttl.

I know im the kinda person who can pick something up and figure out the best way to use things whilst i learn. Yet I feel that learning some tips/tricks from you guys before i get in the water would be wonderful.

Hope to hear your comments!.........

HeyH--So why not just go manual altogether and avoid ttl? I mean if you are already used to shootin in manual it would keep things pretty simple. Shutter speeds of 1/125th or higher will help avoid most subject/camera movement. Depending on distance and subject f/5.6-f/8 should work, especially if you then just control exposure via adjusting the YS-01 output in Manual mode. Of course the danger of "one exposure fits all" means this works swell for close in subjects (less than 2 meters for you Oz types), not so swell for distance shots. For those, maybe go to Av mode, possibly dropping the f/stops lower to keep shuter speeds reasonable.

A search will yield more help, the topic does get covered a lot. Great source is UW Photo Guide in general but Scott Geitler posted a specific help tip here for G series and S90/95 shooters: Canon S90/S95 G11/G12 Settings | Underwater Photography Guide

A good approach might be to set up this "distant" shooting mode beforehand and save to the Custom (C) mode. Comes in handy if you are working in close in Manual and see a parade of manta rays cavorting with whale sharks swimming by fast--very quick to switch to C mode and shoot. All sorts of things (white balance, focal length, ISO etc.) can be saved and the camera automatically jumps to those settings when switched to C mode.

BTW, you eliminate a lot of valuable input if you address photo inquiries to only "guys"; I'm just sayin'. Oh wait. Oz, that's right. Nevermind...:eyebrow: // ww

What TTL? There is no TTL. No, sTTL (optical) will not function in manual on any Canon P&S because manual mode which by default is also manual flash. With the Inon D2000 and Z240 you can have External Automatic exposure in manual camera exposure mode.

I use whatever settings are correct for my shooting and exposure at that given moment in time. I mostly use Av mode, Inon dual D2000 in EA mode and aperture and exposure compensation to match my desires and the scene and I run the camera flash in manual and lowest power. I turn off all auto functions, beam assists, safety focus, safety exposure etc.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom