Cam Band Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I went a little crazy a few years ago and bought the Apex Griplock cam bands. Like everything Apex they are sexy and overpriced, like me. However, they are a pain to keep tight as the velcro tab thing on the leeward side of the cam just don't seem to grab tight. I've never had a tank slip on me but I usually have to futz with the bands every morning to get the right fit.

Before I go down the same rabbit hole as, well, every other scuba accoutrement, I was hoping we could get a little conversation going about what works and what doesn't. I use trim weights on the top band so that is a factor in choosing. I am tempted to go with the good old rental gear plastic cam but I do like not having to slide by BPW over the tank all the time.

Thoughts?
1703712751637.png

I'm not quite clear on the problem you're having, but I use these. They work fine, but they are very flexible when wet. I have to wet the bands every time before I attach them or they are so tight it's practically impossible.

I wonder if you have tried wetting the bands and then adjusting the velcro (if that is the problem you're having).

I buy the standard ones from DGX with a metal buckle. I don’t like plastic for this.

I don't know is the knock-off ScubaPro cam bands are still available. I've obtained numerous of the original ones and a couple sets of the knock-offs. I like them..

Thanks, all. I'll try to find the scubapro to see what that's about. Im beginning to realize that simple is better and inherently less expensive.

However, they are a pain to keep tight as the velcro tab thing on the leeward side of the cam just don't seem to grab tight.
Hey....just curios as to understanding what the issue is with the velcro on your camstrap? On my cam straps, (Zeagle Ranger) the cam buckle is what tightens and maintains integrity and function. The velcro on the end of the strap is simply to keep that loose end from flapping around and really has nothing to do with keeping the tank secure. Just seems like you could replace that velcro end with some new velcro and Aquaseal or other waterproof adhesive.

The velcro does nothing.

If that's the same cam as what came with my Dss rig, it can be set bone crushing tight.

Maybe that rubber pad thing is in the way?

It seems like all the tension of the band is acting in shear on the velcro. Maybe I threaded it wrong?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom