Sidemount lower bands, cam-bands or stage rigging kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive my pony sidemountish style. Clipped in top and bottom and then bungeed up to the side. For travelling, I use Dive-Rite's 1.5" wide camband (BC 2036-1.5 - Cam Straps - Dive Rite) in a roll-my own stage-strap rig for my 5" bolttles. It is not as secure as the ones I made with jubilee clips/worm clamps but certainly acceptable. Speed and toolless are the real advantages, especially if you will be swapping tanks between dives.

Dive-Rite also has them complete: Travel Stage Strap - Dive Rite
Travel-Stage-Strap_GM2049-7_Full-View.jpg
Do like that. Seems to have the best of both worlds.

the cam bands only make sense if you would be swapping tanks eg on a day boat where your tanks aren't getting refilled. else with a liveboard, you can leave the hose clamps on all week.

you can either go dive rite choker style or just use a safety clip to get two boltsnaps for slinging on the surface. the lower snap can just be a boltsnap on thick bungee or nylon rope under the cam band, no different than with a hose clamp.

I vote you take whatever it is you normally use and prefer , to hell with any naysayers. My only exception to this would be if you’re right up against airline weight limits and then obviously the jubilee / worm clamps / hose clamps have an advantage.

I’ve been questioned for using jubilees in Florida and chastised for using cam straps in Mexico. I currently use both at home here in NorCal depending on which tanks I grab or are already rigged that day.

One thing to consider about the jubilee clips. If you are changing them around yourself it's probably not an issue, but if a DM or someone else swaps them for you, they can strip the band by overtightening it. (Done it!). Most everyone is aware of proper tension for cam bands.

One thing to consider about the jubilee clips. If you are changing them around yourself it's probably not an issue, but if a DM or someone else swaps them for you, they can strip the band by overtightening it. (Done it!). Most everyone is aware of proper tension for cam bands.
Very simple solution to that. Tell the DM to keep his god(amn hands off of your gear!
There is no reason a DM should be messing with a sidemount diver's cylinders. NONE!

Very simple solution to that. Tell the DM to keep his god(amn hands off of your gear!
There is no reason a DM should be messing with a sidemount diver's cylinders. NONE!
Someone putting their fingers on my gear is a good way for those fingers to meet one of my many cutting-devices. I consider it a giant safety hazard, though.

Someone putting their fingers on my gear is a good way for those fingers to meet one of my many cutting-devices. I consider it a giant safety hazard, though.

If you’re employing a porter (aka scuba sherpa) while cave diving in Mexico, they will rig your SM tanks and put regs on unless you tell them otherwise. At least the porter we used in August (full cave) tried to. I did my own.

Most side mount divers have a hard enough time getting their OWN straps and snaps in the right place; I can’t imagine a DM at a dive op getting it right.

At some point it is no longer appropriate for someone to set up your gear (Ive never let anyone set up my gear) any sidemount diving seems to be beyond that point.

ETA: you should carry your own gear too…geez

Most side mount divers have a hard enough time getting their OWN straps and snaps in the right place; I can’t imagine a DM at a dive op getting it right.

At some point it is no longer appropriate for someone to set up your gear (Ive never let anyone set up my gear) any sidemount diving seems to be beyond that point.

ETA: you should carry your own gear too…geez
Geez, nothing like painting with a broad brush. 🤦‍♀️ You’re being ridiculous. Guess we can tell you don’t like SM.

An experienced porter is probably nothing like the DMs I hear stories about. The one I worked with is actually a cave diver himself. If you’re muttering about people carrying their own gear, have you been cave diving at the cenotes and all those steps? I’ve got bad knees and sciatica. Having the porter meant I could concentrate on getting through full cave rather than destroying my body hauling tanks up and down. My instructor is in her early 60s and often uses a porter. They‘re paid well and this is how they make their living. I’ll be there in December for a week of cave diving and I’ll absolutely use a porter. It’s like valet cave diving - he even brought my SM rig down to me. It’s fabulous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom