Cam band weight pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks to me like you could take that stainless screw out and remove the handle for the removable weight part of the pockets you have. Nothing wrong with cam band pockets. There are other alternatives as also mentioned above. What fins you use and where you need to put the weight will dictate a lot. When warm water diving I thread a few pounds on my top cam band strap for trim.

I use two small weight pockets on my upper cam band. I put 2lbs in each - with an Ali backplate that's sufficient for me diving in a 3mm. Trim is nice for me that way. I don't use a weighted STA, because I only use my single-tank rig for travelling... and keeping it lightweight is a priority.

Surface flotation isn't quite so critical when carrying such a low weight of ballast. If I was diving a thicker wetsuit and needed more weight, an extra 3-4lbs, I wouldn't just add to the cam-weights - I'd go for a steel BP. More weight than that...and I'd be at a point where the weight needed to be ditchable - so weightbelt or weight pockets of some type.

For Maine waters I have a 7mm Henderson suit and farmerjohn, hood, booties and gloves. I needed lots and lots of lead (especially with AL80s) so I quickly moved on from a jacket-style BCD and am experimenting with a stainless steel BP/W and STA, 2lb ankle weights, cam band weight pockets (3-5lbs each depending on fresh or salt water). I find I then need a weight belt but one not excessively heavy with all kinds of lead. To tinker further with it, I am also considering maybe weighting the STA to take even more weight off the belt.

For Maine waters I have a 7mm Henderson suit and farmerjohn, hood, booties and gloves. I needed lots and lots of lead (especially with AL80s) so I quickly moved on from a jacket-style BCD and am experimenting with a stainless steel BP/W and STA, 2lb ankle weights, cam band weight pockets (3-5lbs each depending on fresh or salt water). I find I then need a weight belt but one not excessively heavy with all kinds of lead. To tinker further with it, I am also considering maybe weighting the STA to take even more weight off the belt.

I too locally use a 2 piece farmer J, a few years ago I bought a Halcyon weighted STA but found when using a steel tank it made me very top heavy and would tip me over, I was constantly fighting to stay horizontal. It was an expensive experiment, I ended up selling the the Weighted STA, bought some Jets and a couple of cam band pockets. So anyway my point, be careful before dropping $$$ on a weighted STA. XS scuba make a cheap V trim weight pouch which you can fill as required with lead shot, might be worth looking at if you decide to go down that road.

Tank Straps, Adapters and Weights - Dive Gear Express

Ok, thanks, I'll look into it.

I too locally use a 2 piece farmer J, a few years ago I bought a Halcyon weighted STA but found when using a steel tank it made me very top heavy and would tip me over, I was constantly fighting to stay horizontal. It was an expensive experiment, I ended up selling the the Weighted STA, bought some Jets and a couple of cam band pockets. So anyway my point, be careful before dropping $$$ on a weighted STA. XS scuba make a cheap V trim weight pouch which you can fill as required with lead shot, might be worth looking at if you decide to go down that road.

Tank Straps, Adapters and Weights - Dive Gear Express

Back
Top Bottom