Camcorders, Housings and Lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sony PD170 with Ikelite housing and selfmade lights. For editing secondhand VAIO (2/512/40) and Liquid 5.5

-Excellent camera. Like espacially cause the lowlight performance. Times when the visibility gets bad theres just no posibility to use lights....
-Housing works well. The only "fault" is the rec/stndby knob being very easy to turn mistakenly...
-Lights are originally BUGDIVER ligths, just new reloadables, relays, wires, bulbs, reflector modification, paint and new O-rings. But still tuning up. They work already, but with "selfmade" there's allways a posibility to make something better...
-Just purchased the computer with the software. Got a bargain, and after all the equipment already have didn't afford to by this either but did anyway. Needs later ext.HD and burning DVD. Just trying to learn it....

My rig:

Camera - Panasonic GS-400 3CCD camcorder.
Housing - Ocean Images Inc - Panasonic GS-400 housing with wide angle lens and manual control upgrade.
Lights - Two UK Light Cannon 100s using the standard OI arms.

OI_GS400_housing.jpg

Here is the housing without the lights on the arms.

I have only had the housing for a few months but have already got some nice footage at the Channel Islands (Southern California) and the results are great. Lots to learn though, there are so many manual controls to tweak with.

I have a website dedicated to my underwater video (and some photo) stuff. It is at http://www.socaldivevideos.com

- Cheers,
Mike Thibeau
http://www.socaldivevideos.com

sjspeck:
Please post details about your video equipment and housing here. Also please describe what does and doesn't work well so others may learn what to use.
I have a Sony MPK-trv-1 with sony DCR TRV38 wide angle lens and urpro filtter.
I'm very happy with the quality of my videos, soon I'll be able to post some clips.

Sony TRV 900 with Ikelite housing and video lights. First time with video and I was very satisfied with my result overall, except I used the blue water correction filter that came with the housing and ended up with a reflection in the video. Will purchase filter for the camera. The housing is very easy to use.

I have a Canon ZR65MC that I am thinking about pairing up with an Ikelite housing for U/W video ... but I already know my camera isn't so great in low light ... so that means a set of lights from the get-go.

Anyone have any comments on diving with a ZR65MC?

Guess i'm thinking [ cha-ching $$$$ ] >>>> Before I invest in a camera-specific housing, maybe i should make certain i've got a camera that i'll be glad to stick with for a while (until the first o-ring failure that is). :wink:

Thanks!

sjspeck:
Please post details about your video equipment and housing here. Also please describe what does and doesn't work well so others may learn what to use.

Sony PC-350 in Light & Motion Mako housing with LCD monitor. No lights

LCD monitor back is essential in my opinion - they should just stop selling it without.
Cannot access white balance (but I am not even sure what white balance settings can be made on this camera)

Main annoyance is battery life even with 3rd party high capacity batteries is only just over an hour or so, so I find I run out on some dives. You also don't get much warning between "20 mins left and oops batteries dead"

but in general I love the camera.

ALso heard really good things about Sony TRV-900 in Stingray or bluefin housing.

I have a tr600(hi8) with an amphibico dive buddy housing. It's worked great for what it was, to see if I liked doing this. The only thing I didn't like was the external filter...the first one was a wreck, scratched all over and most likely steped on...it could be easily lost if you ask me. the replacement was quite costly(imo). but less scratches means cleaner pictures....

I tried to adapt a trv dcr 510 to the housing with limited success. It appears that the zoom controls send different signals to the cameras, where the hi8 can zoom at a fairly good speed, the 510 zooms at a snails pace. On/off, focus and record all work fine.

Currently in the process of getting a new dive setup ...I have the camera, now just waiting for the housing to arrive!!

See Miket's setup and thats what I'll have soon as well.

Ciao,
Mark

howard4113:
JVC WR-DV96 housing and GR-DVM76u camera / UK light cannon. Easy to transport - the camcorder is palm size. Simple to operate and great video. I love this system.
I'm thinking about getting the same JVC setup - I would be buying a refurb camera and a new housing. Should cost less than $500; so I think its a nice entry level solution.

How do you like your JVC setup?

Thanks,
Jason

mike,are you still using your equinox housing? if so,are you satisfied with it?thanks for any info. rnorman

I shoot with a Sony TRV20 with a .6X wide angle adaptor, inside a sony MPK-TRB housing (they don't make these anymore)... I've rigged a mirror inside so I can see a 2" screen display through the housing, so it's easy to hold the camera at arm's length. Most recently for lighting, I have gone to 2 of the sony HVL-ML20 lights. These seem to work pretty good. I have a few videos posted in my gallery.

Back
Top Bottom