can a person ever buy used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to find an LDS that you can trust. Yes they will naturally try to sell you something, but if they don't let it go, then you need to let them go. Normal 4 year old scuba gear shouldn't be used up yet.
You brought this same issue up a couple of months ago, except then you were asking if you should feel guilty for bringing old stuff in to get serviced. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=166943

Don't get guilty or angry, just get a new LDS (if you can)

If your LDS won't work on used gear, flip them the bird and moon them as your walking out the door never to return. Off the top of my head I can think of at least two shops in a twenty five mile radius that will work on anything if they can get parts for it. Personally I work on my own gear as I've had bad experiences with the local techs and from an experience stand point my work is better. Ie the stuff I fix doesn't freeflow on me at 150 feet. That will screw up your day. Hey, if you feel okay leaving it to the blond at the LDS, have at it. No thanks. If you can read and can make simple tools, you can do your own. Not the answer for everyone. Ask around though. You will find that there is a shop thats in your area that will rebuild your Conshelf III. Chances are they will do it for a reasonable price too. Guess what? THEY WANT YOUR BUSINESS! What a concept. Supply and demand. Not everyone wants to pay Mares retail for something they won't support next week anyway, so check it out.

Jim

If you can get it for less, buy it and use it. Don't buy into the scare tactics.

I would not hesitate to dive a used regulator. The only thing I would do is test it out in a pool first. If it worked fine, then use it. I doubt I would even service it unless it was really really old (in which case I probably wouldn't have bought it.)

BCs, etc... oh hell yuh, bring 'em on.

All of my original gear except for mask, fins, dive skin and weight belt were used. My regulators (2 one for me, one for my wife), BCDs (4, 2 for me (vest, back inflate), 2 for the wife), all of my dive computers except my wifes last one (5 at last count, still have 3 of them) first semi-dry suit, first 2 cameras, aluminum backplate, 2 wings (a 50 pound Oxycheq and a 35 pound Trek), all used.

http://www.rgi-consult.com/files/Buying_Used_Dive_Equipment.pdf

Mike

I have a ton of used gear

2 backplates
2 Wings 40# and Dbl 55#
1 Scuba Pro MK25 Titanium Din Reg
2 Scuba Pro MK25 Din Regs
1 DUI Drysuit
1 Scuba Pro Glide BC
SP Jet Fins
SP split Jets
SSpring Straps
1 Computer Nitek He
1 Depth Guage and Bottom Timer Oceanic
1 Oceanic Compass
2 Steel 130's
3 AL 80's O2 Cleaned
1 AL 40 O2 Cleaned
Manifolds
Valves
Masks
Wetsuits
2 finger spools
Lift Bags
Marker Sausage
2 Lights
Tons of lead
and a partridge in a pear tree

Its all good stuff and when I take it to the shop I don't say hey, look at this used stuff, how much to make sure it works. I just walk in, tell them I need the gear serviced and thats that. No big show, no fanfare.

Most of all, no problem. They want my business and most of all my $$
I have found that most dive shops wnat your business and if they turn tiy away there are others that won't.

Like others have said just be careful. You know what a new BC is after a dive. It's a used BC. LOL

im always amazed when reading SB about some of the lds attitudes to gear and students/divers

ive never encounted it here in sydney and im glad i dont have to deal with the BS you guys seem to get from certain shops

ive bought a few things 2nd hand... the child dives in a ebay purchased zeagle so yes, you can buy old stuff and as long as its safe, dive it in good health and be happy. (i had the zeagle serviced & some parts replaced before she used it).

ive sold a heck of alot of stuff on ebay and i like to think theres alot of divers in sydney that had alot of enjoyment/diving from the gear. i usually i get the stuff serviced prior to selling and report copies go with the gear. i couldnt live with myself if i sold stuff that was undiveable

I'll only buy used equipment that I know I can get serviced. I found out the hard way with a Prosub DX500 set of regs. The shops I use will work on "second chance" equipment without to much trouble, If not then I'd looking for one that will. The only trouble I've encountered is in getting replacement parts for some things.

There is always a risk buying used gear. However many new divers fall for the LDS pressure to buy gear soon after certification and then drop out of the hobby for a variety of reasons, this leaves a lot of very slighty used gear out on the market which can be bought for a fraction of the price of new gear.

Some rules I follow:

On Ebay:
I prefer to buy from divers rather than estate sale people. Look at the ad and see if the person selling the gear knows the history. I also ask questions like when was it last serviced? How many dives? etc. If the person does not answer or does not know then bid low or do not bid at all.

I also look at the photos very carefully and judge the quality from the photos. If you cannot judge from the photos bid low.

I look at what Leisure Pro and other discounters sells the gear for and try to get it for around half of their price or at least an amount that makes it worth while to buy used. If you are only going to save $ 30 on a BC is it really worth buying used? I also factor in the cost of a rebuild if buying regs.

Decide what you want before looking on ebay so you get things you really want and will use rather than "good deals" that sit in your closet. Set a price first and use esnipe and do not get caught up in bidding wars. Some people bid crazy and could have bought the same item new for less. Be patient their are some good deals out there.

Always go through ebay and use paypal. They are your best protection in case some trouble starts.

For exampe: I bought a set of beuchat regs from a guy for $125.00. They are rebadged apeks. I purchased the equivelent of a TX-50, TX-40 and a SPG. The reg freeflowed when I put it on the tank. I needed to have the first stage rebuild and the diaphrams replaced at an LDS which cost and extra $100. So for $225.00 I have the equilivant of something that costs over $ 500 at LP let alone a local dive store. If you do your homework and bid right you will not get burned.

As a previous poster pointed out some things like fins and backplates don't require any service at all. Other things like computers may not work at all, so I do not bid that highly for them.

On Scubaboard I only buy from members that have been around a while and have a reputation to uphold. I avoid new members, especially if they seem to know nothing about the gear.

Remember good quality gear can last a long time if stored properly, there is nothing dangerous about used gear if you get it properly serviced. If your LDS gives you a hassle about it then try a new store or send it away for service to a place like Scubatoys.

Back
Top Bottom