Can DMs take cameras on the dives they are leading?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In our dive center dive guides, leader, DM's are not allowed to take camera's weather they are guiding or assisting with courses. I understand things are different in SE Asia than in the Carribean.
Here we tend to have more inexperienced divers or newly qualifies ones, who need the extra in water supervision to gain more experience.
All divers are guided here, regardless of qualification level or experience at a ratio of 4:1, the currents and navigation can sometimes be a bit tricky and the majority of dives are from a live boat.
So the guides are in the water to supervise, show where to find the unusual marine life and ensure everyone in the group is comfortable and safe. This means no camera's. Guests want to see the marine life, not have the guide taking photo's first. They are there as they have local knowledge and experience not to sell photo's to customers.
We do have a videographer on board which offers this service to our guests, but he is not included in any ratio's.

I have to wonder how many here have gone shark diving in the Bahamas.
On a shark dive you may have up to three DM's in the water.
One is the videographer, the other is the photographer and the last one is the shark handler/feeder.
I wonder which one you believe is there to make sure that you are safe from the sharks.

While there might be a dive operation that may also include a safety diver, that has not been my experience.

And that also brings up a key word "Safety Diver".
A DM classified as the safety diver is the only diver in the water charged with looking out for everyones safety.

That does not mean that any other DM participating in a different function isn't going to try and help you if lose control.

There are many companies that for insurance reasons will only hire divers that are DM's or higher for all their positions.
This is because the professional levels must be self insured and that makes them an asset to the operation regardless of their role in the water.

As has been previously mentioned, in some places your dive guide may only be an experienced open water diver without any formal rescue training.

So the next time you go on a dive boat charter you may want to inquire if your guide is certified as a DM or Instructor and don't just assume that they are.
You may just be surprised at the answer you get.

My DM in Koh Samui took a camer, and then i bought the picture off him.

I don't need babysitting, so when the dive guide in Maui took a camera on the dives to sell DVDs to tourists, it didn't bother me at all. She actually pointed out some really macro opportunities.

There are instances where DM's are not supposed to have cameras. As I am currently walking through the PADI material, you are not supposed to have a camera during a discover scuba diving event. Because they are not certified divers. And any time you are leading divers who are not certified, you are not supposed to have one because you are working with people who need you attention as well. Otherwise they don't say you can't as a rule. As a DM you wouldn't want to upset the people you are working for, so if they would love to have some video of their dive sent to them afterwards that would be one thing. But if they are in for a refresher course, they probably wouldn't want you worried about a camera.

All in all, pick the right occasion and use good judgment. :)

Also, you might not want to violate any possible shop policies with regards to it.
Some shops do have policies about their guides taking along cameras and if you feel particularly strong about wether the guides should or should not bring a camera, you could always check with the dive shop wether or not they do have such policies before you book :)

Dependant on the rules set by the employer. In my opinion, DM in duty shouldn't bring camera regardless the divers they leads are certified or not. An experienced diver maybe lost in the sea if they are not familiar with the dive site. Not to say pay hundred percent attention to the divers, but in case if any accident happen, camera may anytime becomes a burden. And, DM doesn't work 7 days a week (not for all), so can dive with the kits for some fun dives during their off day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom