Can i fail a OW course??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To answer the question yes you can fail, and contrary to some previous posts, some have more difficulty with the final exam than others, just as some have more difficulty with the water work. Also the instructor can help you to understand material but should not "coach" you through the wrong answers as some instructors do. If you answer 13 questions incorrectly, regardless of which ones, a re-test is in order, after some additional time to re-read and study.-M

Michael Schlink:
To answer the question yes you can fail, and contrary to some previous posts, some have more difficulty with the final exam than others, just as some have more difficulty with the water work. Also the instructor can help you to understand material but should not "coach" you through the wrong answers as some instructors do. If you answer 13 questions incorrectly, regardless of which ones, a re-test is in order, after some additional time to re-read and study.-M
I agree with this statement. By the same token the LDS does not fail you, you fail yourself. An LDS should work with you untill you get it, unless you give up.

What is "fail" ? As far as I know the written test can simply be redone until you get it right. It's all stuff that you need to know anyway so if you really can't grasp it then why would you want to dive? There'd be a very good chance you hurt yourself badly or worse.

As for the practical side......again, if you complete all the skills and get to the end then it's a pass. If you can't do something then you simply can't complete the course so you can't be certified. I don't see that as "failing" - maybe others do but if you can't do something that's it really. Maybe "can you fail to be able to learn?" would make more sense to me. Yes, there are some people in that category.

thermalgeek:
Hi there, I thought about wether or not it is possible to fail the OW course, I hereby mean, can you fail the final exam in an OW course?

And just one other thing.. If you have some faults on your answer sheet at the exam, will you still be certified or will you fail the course??
It's entirely possible to not pass, but whether or not you fail depends on the shop you use. (some will let you re-take classes and pool session as long as necessary)

AFAIK, all the cert agencies allow you to get some wrong answers and still pass the test, however, I'd suggest making sure you learn any that you got wrong, since it's all important and is there to help keep you safe.

Terry

To be blunt - the quiz is easy enough that if you fail it you have no business being certified.

DD-sorry your wrong on that one-what you may perceive as easy can be difficult for another-Also I have seen those that excelled at the academic portion and struggled with skills and visa versa.
Here is a simple case in point- I gave the Padi OW final exam to my father, he's NEVER read the book, not one page, never dove, never involved with diving other than he has two sons that have been instructors, virtually no exposure to diving more so than the general public's. Totaly blind test no prep whatsoever, get the picture? I think he got two answers wrong.
Next I have had students that I KNOW have read the material and watched the vids and failed the exams several times
Everybody is different and some people don't do well with "tests"

The LDS that I took mine through was more than willing to work with people who had problems with either the written or the practical.. I think that it depends on the shop... the shop I took it through wants to see future divers aside from the $$ aspect... if all the shop cares about is money I think you'd have more of a problem... I think if you find yourself a good diveshop and a good instructor you will be fine regardless...

Today we had 2 students that were unable to complete the mask removal and replacement skill. So, off they went. Diving's not for everyone

Michael Schlink:
DD-sorry your wrong on that one
Everybody is different and some people don't do well with "tests"

A few years ago when I was a flight instructor I had a student that was a natural at flying . He soloed an airplane with only 6.5 hours of instruction, the fastest of any student I ever taught. But he failed the faa written exam twice. On the other hand I had a vascular surgeon that had 21 hours of flight instruction before he soloed but he aced the faa written exam first time.

I'm sure many DIs have had a student that was a whiz kid from an academic standpoint but a total klutz in the water and vice versa.

millphils:
Today we had 2 students that were unable to complete the mask removal and replacement skill. So, off they went. Diving's not for everyone
How long had they been trying to do it before they gave up?

Back
Top Bottom