Can I get bent in a pool? Terrible pain in my joints.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
Chicago.

That's the same town where I pay $350 cash for an MRI. If I submit it to insurance, the MRI office gets paid $1800 and I get a co-pay bill of $375.

Makes sense to me. Anybody know Michael Moore's number?

In other countries, you likely would not be allowed to have a CT or MRI. If we switch to socialized medicine, people won't be getting MRI's for 2/10 wrist pain anymore :)

Numbness and tingling are one thing, but the swelling is another. I would thing a quick trip to the ER would be in order. Hope everything works out OK.
Harley, let us know what happens.

Wozzer:
In other countries, you likely would not be allowed to have a CT or MRI. If we switch to socialized medicine, people won't be getting MRI's for 2/10 wrist pain anymore :)
you mean you would have to pay for it like here?

Went to the Doc Waited for two hrs before he saw me. He talked to me for 5 min and sent me for blood tests. He also ruled out DCI. I 'm glad for that. He didn't offer any possible causes, when I asked he said he didn't know, but to come back in a week, or go to the ER if it got worse.

I'm thinking bacterial infection from the pool. Cant walk now, have to hop on one leg.
I feel great otherwise. No fever, no headache, Blood Pressure is OK. Just pain in every joint from my shoulder to my ankle.

It looks like this probably has nothing to do with diving. Thanks for all the suggestions & comments. I hope it goes away so I can get back in the water soon. Sat I bought my Daughter a new Regulator, gauges...ect. She was going to take her Nitrox course today but she came to the Doc with me instead. What a good girl.

I'm thinking bacterial infection from the pool. Cant walk now, have to hop on one leg.

Your doc is an idiot. Go to the ER!

He doesn't need to know everything, but should know when he's out of his league on something potentially serious.

Terry

Not being able to walk is sort of a big deal, I would head to the ER.

Harley,
I'm a physician and what you've said so far is very worrisome. I concur with the above comments that a visit to the ER is indicated. Joint pain and swelling like you describe needs an urgent diagnosis, especially if it has a bacterial cause. Please don't delay and keep us informed.
David

I concur . . . Inability to walk is a big red flag for ER docs. It sounds as though you have some kind of severe, acute inflammatory process going on involving your joints. It should be diagnosed if possible (eg. taps of synovial fluid of swollen, hot joints) and treated appropriately to minimize the damage to the joints going on during the acute process.

harleyxx:
The medic at Dan said that is is highly unlikely that I could get DCS in a pool under the circumstances I described. He said he had never heard of a case where this happened. I am going to see my Doc on Friday & have some blood tests.
This is so strange because I lead a very active life, surfing, canoeing, working out, and of course diving when I get a chance. From what I've read DCS symptoms rarely affect the hands.
I did not see swelling as a symptom of DCS. My knuckles and fingers are now swollen to almost twice the normal size. Tingling like crazy!
There are a lot of rheumatology/autoimmune problems that can cause these symptoms and they can occur suddenly. I had a reaction to an infection last winter that caused unbelievable joint pains. My doctor thinks it was an allergic reaction to a yeast overload after being on multiple IV antibiotics. It could have been a side effect of one of the medications too. As quickly as the joint pains came, one day they were gone, never to return again. Very weird!
I'm very glad you're getting bloodwork done and hope it answers the question for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom