Can I Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adamk119

Reaction score
Hello All:

Here's my question. Im unsure if I can scuba...but id love to

I had tubes in my ears as a child and a couple of operations which ultimately led to subsequent infections and finally a perforated eardrum on one side and maybe another on the other.
So basically if i go under the water more than about 3 feet my ears clog with water..

My thoughts were ..can i Scuba with earplugs? Or possibly a wetsuit headpiece? But I dont know the effects of pressure etc?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

AdamK@Drte.com

I think this question belongs in the Diving Medicine forum so I'm moving it there. You'll get better qualified answers there.

WW

Dear Adamk119

First I would like to say hope u will get well soon..
Listen dear in any organization if u want to take a course with then what ever was the course u have to sign a medical statement ,
In this message u have an example of one so u can have an Idea about , if u answered yes to one of these u should go to the doctor and let him check u and bring back with u a paper that u r able to dive ….
So anyway u have to see a doctor to make sure that if u did a course u wont be hurt more or u wont have any problems

MEDICAL HISTORY
To the Participant:
The purpose of this medical questionnaire is to find out if you should be examined by your doctor before participating in recreational diver
training. A positive response to a question does not necessarily disqualify you from diving. A positive response means that there is a
preexisting condition that may affect your safety while diving and you must seek the advice of your physician.
Please answer the following questions on your past or present medical history with a YES or NO. If you are not sure, answer YES. If any of
these items apply to you, we must request that you consult with a physician prior to participating in scuba diving. Your instructor will supply
you with a PADI Medical Statement and Guidelines for Recreational Scuba Diver’s Physical Examination to take to your physician.
_____ Could you be pregnant or are you attempting to become pregnant?
_____ Do you regularly take prescription or nonprescription medications?
(with the exception of birth control)
_____ Are you over 45 years of age and have one or more of the following?
• currently smoke a pipe, cigars, or cigarettes
• have a high cholesterol level
• have a family history of heart attacks or strokes
Have you ever had or do you currently have . . .
_____ Asthma, or wheezing with breathing, or wheezing with exercise?
_____ Frequent or severe attacks of hayfever or allergy?
_____ Frequent colds, sinusitis or bronchitis?
_____ Any form of lung disease?
_____ Pneumothorax (collapsed lung)?
_____ History of chest surgery?
_____ Claustrophobia or agoraphobia (fear of closed or open spaces)?
_____ Behavioral health problems?
_____ Epilepsy, seizures, convulsions or take medications to prevent them?
_____ Recurring migraine headaches or take medications to prevent them?
_____ History of blackouts or fainting (full/partial loss of consciousness)?
_____ Do you frequently suffer from motion sickness (seasick, carsick, etc.)?
_____ History of diving accidents or decompression sickness?
_____ History of recurrent back problems?
_____ History of back surgery?
_____ History of diabetes?
_____ History of back, arm or leg problems following surgery, injury or fracture?
_____ Inability to perform moderate exercise (example: walk one mile within 12 minutes)?
_____ History of high blood pressure or take medicine to control blood pressure?
_____ History of any heart disease?
_____ History of heart attacks?
_____ Angina or heart surgery or blood vessel surgery?
_____ History of ear or sinus surgery?
_____ History of ear disease, hearing loss or problems with balance?
_____ History of problems equalizing (popping) ears with airplane or mountain travel?
_____ History of bleeding or other blood disorders?
_____ History of any type of hernia?
_____ History of ulcers or ulcer surgery?
_____ History of colostomy?
_____ History of drug or alcohol abuse?
Please read carefully before signing.
This is a statement in which you are informed of some potential risks
involved in scuba diving and of the conduct required of you during the
scuba training program. Your signature on this statement is required
for you to participate in the scuba training program offered
by _________________________________________ and
Instructor
_______________________________________ located in the
Facility
city of __________________ and state of ____________.
Read and discuss this statement prior to signing it. You must
complete this Medical Statement, which includes the medical-history
section, to enroll in the scuba-training program. If you are
a minor, you must have this Statement signed by a parent.
Diving is an exciting and demanding activity. When per-formed
correctly, applying correct techniques, it is very safe.
When established safety procedures are not followed, however,
there are dangers.
To scuba dive safely, you must not be extremely overweight
or out of condition. Diving can be strenuous under certain
conditions. Your respiratory and circulatory systems must be in
good health. All body air spaces must be normal and healthy. A
person with heart trouble, a current cold or congestion, epilepsy,
asthma, a severe medical problem, or who is under the influence
of alcohol or drugs should not dive. If taking medication, consult
your doctor and the instructor before participation in this program.
You will also need to learn from the instructor the important safety
rules regarding breathing and equalization while scuba diving.
Improper use of scuba equipment can result in serious injury. You
must be thoroughly instructed in its use under direct supervision
of a qualified instructor to use it safely.
If you have any additional questions regarding this Medical
Statement or the Medical History section, review them with your
instructor before signing.
The information I have provided about my medical history is accurate to the best of my knowledge.
_______________________________________________________________________________________ __________________
Participant’s Signature Date (day/month/year)
_______________________________________________________________________________________ __________________
Signatures of Parent or Guardian (where applicable) Date (day/month/year)

Adamk119'

Nooooo...Don't dive! Never dive with ear plugs...unless you want to see how it feels when the two plugs meet in the middle of your brain!

All kidding aside, diving with ear plugs will lead to severe mechanical/barotrauma. They can be forced into the ear canal...and beyond. Besides bringing tears to your eyes cause this is gonna hurt, you can injure the tympanic membrane, the chorda timpani and structures within the middle ear.

You indicate a past medical history of eardrum perforation and as I read it, you still experience clogged ears when you submerge. If there is still some sort of perforation or ear infection, you can't dive.

You might want to have an ENT doctor check you out to see if your condition can be treated. If not, don't dive.

But, hey! What do I know...I'm just the toothdoc and only get to look at the ears from the inside out! :)

Be careful and hopes for a good ear exam.

Larry Stein

Wowow I just wanted to tell u about this mask but I was trying to think of a way to explain it to u , anyway I saw this mask ones and I looked all over the country for it and I could not fined any anyway in my country …..but sorry I cant tell u anything about it if it should be good or not cos your situation is not like any other situations anyway please just go see a professional doctor and let him help u with this thing u have ..take care

There are ear plugs designed to very greatly reduce the entry of water into the external auditory canal while still allowing for efficient equalization, such as these---> http://www.proplugs.com

Becase they do not always keep the ear completely dry, given a still open perforation of the eardrum it probably is prudent to hold off on diving, but for reasons of infection, not to keep them out of the middle of the brain.

I agree that a proper ENT exam and medical clearance to dive is a wise course of action.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Yes, the manufacturer, who has long visited this & other scuba boards from time to time, provided me a pair to test. I have lent them to others to try as well.

The are costly, and definitely a take a bit of getting used to, but properly used are effective in greatly reducing water flow into the outer ear.

However, as with the above Doc's Proplugs, they do not always keep the ear completely dry. As such, if an open perforation of the eardrum exists it is prudent to hold off on diving until receiving medical clearance to return.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

If it makes you feel any better i also had many ear infections as a kid that lead to getting tubes in my ears.I dont use any special mask or any type of ear plugs that are mentioned here.I am lucky enough to be able to equalize ok.Sometimes it takes me a while to get down due to equalizing problems.Sometimes i get down with no problems.But as you can see you have many options such as the proear mask and proplugs along with some great advice from the doctors on the board.But like they said get checked out by a doctor and see where you stand.

Back
Top Bottom