Can I shore dive Hanamau Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm...

I didn't see any negativity in this post. In fact I saw a lot of helpful advice from fellow divers who are cautious and attentive to the conditions at their local dive sites. I haven't even dived it but chimed in to help get the ball rolling. I also would not solo it.

Contact Zack or VBlue (although I think he's off island). As mentioned earlier, I'm happy to set you up with some great wreck and reef dives here or shore diving at Sharks Cove in the summer months.

Mahalo,

G

Everytime I post on this forum, I tend to get negative responses out of people, lol... I'm aware of the concerns of diving. Did I plan on doing it alone? Yes.... Do I have anyone else to go with me? No.... So does that mean I dont go it at all? No... I used to surf alot, I consider myself a good swimmer and I wouldn't swim all that far out (maybe several few hundred yards); more than I did all the other times I went to snorkel... Nothing narly like swimming all the way out or anything. I mean going out a few hundred yards, max depth 20-30 feet should be just fine right? I dont see why not -- this will be in about 2 months

you know you came in here asking about shore diving H-bay. You got some very good feedback, without going into great detail and writing a book some very good people here in the dive community gave you some very good information. They gave you some very Important Information. What you do with that information is up to you, but I don't think your going to make any friends with the above response.

The decision to solo is, of course, your own.

The great danger to Hanauma and other Hawaiian beaches, is their apparent lack of any. Whether willful or innocent, lack of respect has a price. I have one save. I do not wish for another.

Mr black; its not my intentions to make internet friends ont he forum but come here to get advice and thought on subjects. I suppose im just being pissy since this happens alot (negative thoughts) on subjects I bring up. If I wanted to play it safe, I'd go scuba my bath tub....

If I was still on the island, I would have loved to dive Hanauma Bay with you as, despite the physical effort of hauling tanks down there for a good early morning dive, it can be a very beautiful dive.

Having said that, as the last year has gone on the vis has gotten worse and worse. I tried it in December with a few friends and it was pitiful: 10' vis. We turned it after about 10 minutes, just not worth the trouble.

As a guide I tend to recommend this website. Normally I head out along the telephone cables to about 25-30 feet, then head west until I reach 2000 psi. At that point I turn around and I can take my time on the exit, allowing time to pick up the telephone cables again and have some extra gas to crawl out through the hole in the breakwater (it is a crawl: get negative and push yourself along the rocks on the bottom).

You can modify it, of course, by turning at 1800 then heading Northeast, since the reef will drop off to sand (and you will see the phone cables), but I prefer to keep my dives simple: one way in, same way out.

Peace,
Greg

You know on second thought you should call aarons dive shop and ask them to take you diving out to port lock. and you can do a drift into the bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom