Question Thunder Bay Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinLoos1985

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

My family and I are staying in Alpena, MI for a week in the end of July. I want to dive shipwrecks in Thunder Bay. I’m looking for depths less than 60 feet as my brother and mom want to dive them as well.

What recreational shipwrecks sights do you recommend?

Are any of them shore dives? Can you snorkel any?

Which dive ops do you recommend?

Finally, are there fill sights up there?

Thank you! I appreciate any insight.

Monohansett - 20ish ft. Excellent little dive. But you need a charter. DM Wilson about 45ft. Boat too. There are others.

The trouble is finding a charter. Great Lakes Divers just sold their boat to someone else.

Most of the other boats that visit the area are booked by entire groups.

For fills and shore dives, check with Joe Sobczak at Thunder Bay Scuba. He’s not doing charters any longer, but he will be able to rent gear and advise on shore dives. I’d give his shop a call.

Are you folks used to colder water?

Make sure to visit the NOAA Marine Sanctuary museum. It’s free and very good.

I did a trip there in 2018 and will be back in September.

Many Great Lakes charters to northern Michigan are filled months ahead. Walk on divers are iffy. It’s not really something you do at the last minute.

I’m up to the Straits this weekend. The group leader got the dates last summer. I booked my spot last wi ter.

There’s a tab with a wreck map and tons of info.

There are a good number of wrecks shallower than 60' in Alpena.

If memory serves the alpena marina has several wrecks that you can swim to from the boardwalk right at the marina. They are really shallow so the quality may not be what you want, but there is stuff to see.

I have dove the D.M. Wilson and the Montana in the range of depths you are looking at. Fun dives but nothing particularly special if I remember right.

The only dive ops in the area are ones that trailer their boat so you will have to look around and see if you can find one that will be there that week. I would check with @Tracy with Belowthegrade.com and see where he's at. I know there are a few more that run up to Alpena, but none come to mind off the top of my head.

Fills are at great lakes divers in town unless the charter brings a compressor with them.

Isn't Black Dog still operating out of Presque Isle? Also, some fishing charters out of Alpena will take divers out to the wrecks.

Isn't Black Dog still operating out of Presque Isle? Also, some fishing charters out of Alpena will take divers out to the wrecks.

Blackdog is based out of Presque Isle. He’s now taking bookings for 2025. Fully booked for this year. The boat has been in Mackinaw City for at least a week and is being moved to Presque Isle for some charters. No clue about Alpena fishing charters taking out divers.

Blackdog is based out of Presque Isle. He’s now taking bookings for 2025. Fully booked for this year. The boat has been in Mackinaw City for at least a week and is being moved to Presque Isle for some charters. No clue about Alpena fishing charters taking out divers.
I had a friend from Canada come over (recreational Diver so we were of no help) in 2018 and he wanted to do the Montana and the Allen. No dive charter, but the shop up there hooked him up with a fishing charter that took him out to the wrecks. Me and my dad did the same thing in 2006.

Hi,

My family and I are staying in Alpena, MI for a week in the end of July. I want to dive shipwrecks in Thunder Bay. I’m looking for depths less than 60 feet as my brother and mom want to dive them as well.

Great Lakes Divers has a retail store, rentals, education, and does fills. Currently they are by appointment so just call a few hours ahead!

Hi,

Great Lakes Divers has a retail store, rentals, education, and does air and nitrox fills. Currently they are by appointment so just call a few hours ahead! Also, for charters, Great Lakes Divers sold their boat and business to Captain Travis Smith at 616-402-4246. He is an experienced dive boat captain and knows the area very well.

Great Lakes Divers has a retail store, rentals, education, and does air and nitrox fills. Currently they are by appointment so just call a few hours ahead! Also, for charters, Great Lakes Divers sold their boat and business to Captain Travis Smith at 616-402-4246. He is an experienced dive boat captain and knows the area very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom