Can PADI Instructors use DIR Gear While Teaching?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you asking me why I teach both during confined water?

In case you are asking, different people get into diving for different reasons. Some may never dive anywhere other than the Carib. On vacation. For those divers or for the ones that don't see the benifits to a long hose, I teach them the standard rec ow config. The divers that express interest in diving local waters I show them both ways.

Depends on the divers initial needs and plans.

Ok, I see where you're coming from.

I discuss it as a matter of course because the shop sells technical gear as well as recreational gear and the question always comes up. For OW, however, I want them to get familiar with the config they're learning in. If I had unlimited time I would probably do both but there are bigger priorities, in my mind, that require the time.

R..

I teach first half of class (3 or 4 pool sessions) in jacket BC since that is what the shop has in the pool. Last half (3 sessions) is in BPW. Or now sidemount if they are curious. Then they decide what to use in OW. Part of learning the dive planning process is that the diver decide what is right for them and the dives they will be doing.

I show students all manner of gear in the classroom portion of the class. They see jacket BCDs, back inflates, and BP/W. They see traditional regulator setups and long hose setups. They see yoke valves and DIN valves. I discuss the pros and cons of each. I tell them what I use and why. The shop sells all of the above, so it doesn't matter which they go out and buy. I really can't see how I could pull of the logistics of a pool demonstration of each, although I would love to do so.

For those that will be travelling I include a session on "conventional" equipment.

I was doing a night dive in Curaçao and got assigned a random buddy. The DM who paired us up said to the other guy "sorry about that" as he pointed to me and said to the other guy "don't bother with a buddy check... he's diving a non-standard rig." (BP/W, 7ft hose, can light, etc). "If he gets in trouble you'll never be able to get him out of his gear - he's completely strapped in."

I just started laughing.

The DM and the other guy were indignant "Ok then... what SHOULD we do if you get in trouble and we have to get you out of your gear?"

Me: "Just cut me out."
He: "With what?"
Me: "Knife, shears, whatever you've got will work."
He: "I don't have anything like that."
Me: "And I'm the one diving a 'non-standard' rig?"
He: "So what do I do?"
Me: "I've got three cutting tools, here, here, and here. Grab one and start cutting."
He: "How will I know if I need to cut you out?"
Me: "If there's any question... start cutting. If I tell you to get your ****ing hands off my gear, stop."

We teach students both primary donate and secondary donate during their OW class. That's in part because WE use primary donate, and in part because the shop likes to sell Air2s with their BCs (and they are far from rare out in the world at large, it seems to me). Students do sometimes get confused and try to donate their primary reg -- which actually reinforced the idea that an OOG diver needs gas, and it doesn't really matter which reg they get, so long as they get one and the donor knows how to get some gas for himself, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom