Can someone fill me in about GPS units?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am addicted to my GPS system. I use it to Navigate any time I'm going somewhere new or from a new direction. Although I do like my system better for driving than the Garmin. But, mine was specifically designed by my group at work for in-vehicle navigation. The Garmin is portable so it has more uses. Boating, hiking, snowmobiling, etc.

There are only a couple companies worldwide that 'map' the world's streets. Most any nav unit we use in the U.S. is powered by Navtech. Different companies design the nav / gps unit. Then they buy the rights to use the Navtech map database. Little by little the world is being mapped. The big cities were first working down to the smaller country-type roads. About the only time you won't be able to map is to those small roads or to roads that were built after your database was purchased. However, I think with the Garmin units you can download the most current database.

Several of my buddies have handheld GPS units and they map out all the wreck sites we dive. Yes, we are mostly geeky automotive engineers. They have come in handy several times. Especially as the GPS system uses three read points and is much more accurate than Loran or previous systems.

Paula

My first GPS was a Garmin 75 that I paid dearly for. I still use it on my trawler. It is tied into my computer navigation system and my autopilot.

Recently I bought a Garmin 76map for a third of what I paid for the now *obsolete* Garmin 75. I had no idea at the time why I needed it but thought it seemed like a good deal. It has been in the drawer for a couple of months now. I had to buy a Boston Whaler so I could finally use it for something and get my money's worth.

Moral of the story: if you don't need don't get it but if you need it nothing else is as good at fixing your position and Garmin is the best IMO.

BTW ~ Shane has a Garmin on Uncle Pug.

So it sounds like I would need to have a mapping program and download the Lon/Lat markers into the GPS unit. Where do I get this program? Would I do that? I don't know.

I use a Trips and Street program now, part of Works Suite, where I can look up most anything in the US. So far on trips all arounf Texas and several to Florida, it hasn't steered us wrong. I'm enough of a throw back to enjoy a good map and those I can print out now.

Thanks for the insights, it give me something more to research.

If you're going with Garmin units, try this link for their software packages.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/

You'll need to purchase a GPS unit that can accomodate the software, of course. The little hiker models usually don't cut the mustard. Go to Garmin's site and click on all the e-trex models to see which ones can support waterways mapping. This is a very confusing model!

http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/compare.jsp

Geocaching! Keeps my GPS in use frequently. I have also done an underwater cache, combining diving and caching, what could be better?

I also Geocache. It's great fun! and it can be combined with Scuba diving, hiking, boating, ham radio, etc, etc. I don't use a Garmin, I have a Lowrance, but I have a number of friends that have Garmins and they're great. It would be a pity to let such a neat tool be left in a drawer somewhere.

Purchased my first one in 1995, a Magellan hand held single channel multiplex unit. It still works fine for back woods treks, which is what I purchased it for. I used it on my boat for a while till I installed a permanent unit with a DGPS decoder.

On the boat or in the back woods, I still use a good map, as the units I have do not have built in maps. All of the ones with built in maps often do not include the areas in Norther Canada where I backpack, which makes the feature of no benefit anyways. I'll never venture out without a good compass and map on either my boat or in the back country though, guess old habits are hard to break. But at least the old habit is not labeled "batteries required".

You have to find a significant use for a GPS. For instance those wrecks that operators dont go often and you can go with you boat, etc.

If the GPS unit has mapping features that it can help you if the map is detailed.

So ask yourself: WHAT I'M GOING TO DO WITH A GPS ? USE IT OR EBAY IT ?

Thanks everyone! The only unit available to use didn't have an available data or basemap andf there were no aditional map options. I think one of the better models would be really cool but this very basic entry level e-Trex model would end up in a drawer.

Yes, Pug...these was dive gear available! A Citizen Eco-drive dive watch. Beast put that as first choice and a pair of walkie talkies as secondary. Maybe not I can keep up with him at the Super Wal-Mart and Bass Pro shops!

Thanks everyone for the education on GPS!

Back
Top Bottom