Can you do too much deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not make our own algorithm, but certainly dive more conservative GF's because we are neither as fit as navy divers, nor can we accept a DCS rate of 2%
Explain what you mean by "more conservative GF's." In an earlier post, I spoke of the fact that the common connotations of "conservative" work with GF High, but not so much with GF low. What do you mean by "conservative" in regard to GF low?

You are incorrectly conflating Buhlmann/GFs with an operational Navy 2% DCS rate.
If the US Navy has ever tested Buhlmann, I am unaware of it.

If the US Navy has ever tested Buhlmann, I am unaware of it.
Not to mention that the Navy ops have a chamber on-site.

Not make our own algorithm, but certainly dive more conservative GF's because we are neither as fit as navy divers, nor can we accept a DCS rate of 2%
I finally occurred to me that you seem to be thinking that the NEDU study tested the Buhlmann algorithm and decided it met a specific standard of safety, and you are quibbling with that standard because Navy divers are more fit. That is not what happened, and that is not what they concluded.

First of all, Buhlmann was not involved at all.

Next, it was a comparative study on the effects of deep stops on ascent profiles. It found that deeper stops are not beneficial. Whether or not deep stops are beneficial has nothing to do with the fitness of the divers--that conclusion would apply to all divers at all fitness levels.

The conclusions you would draw from the study are that it is not beneficial to you to do decompression stops that are deeper than necessary. That conclusion would apply to any algorithm you use. For example, if you were to use VPM (using V-Planner), it would not be beneficial to put the settings on +4 rather than +2, because setting it at +4 would make your first stop deeper.

Note that in that last sentence, I did not use the word "conservative," even though the VPM/V-Planner language says that using a higher setting and stopping deeper is more conservative. That is because we tend to associate the word "conservative" with "safer." It is not safer or more beneficial to use a deeper stop, and so calling it more conservative is deceptive.

Franck Goddio's work was much much shallower - most was done on single cylinder, some with smaller twins.
Hi
The team did also quite a lot of 60-70 meters range dives in the Philippines and Indonesia using Trimix.
It is not because it is not on the net or public that it didn't not happen :)

Hi
The team did also quite a lot of 60-70 meters range dives in the Philippines and Indonesia using Trimix.
It is not because it is not on the net or public that it didn't not happen :)
OK cheers - wasn't aware of that!

Very interesting. Unfortunately the link to the research is a broken link, but some interesting reading on the Shearwater page.
We still seem to be at the point of "we don't know what we aren't 100% sure about"

I know of several divers who no longer put He in there planners or PDCs due to this research.

This ignores the fact that He will on gas faster as the delta partial pressure is higher for He than N2. We start the dives 0 PPHe. My understanding was always that this was the primary mode of the He penalty.

This makes it quite unlikely I will lie to my PDC about He content.

This ignores the fact that He will on gas faster as the delta partial pressure is higher for He than N2. We start the dives 0 PPHe. My understanding was always that this was the primary mode of the He penalty.
I wouldn't think that's a huge effect since the starting point is immaterial after a few time-constants have elapsed. (This is typically the case for the tissues that will eventually drive the deco.) Further, the 55 minute (for example) He compartment will always lag the 55 minute N2 compartment on uptake precisely because the tissue ppHe starts at 0. (I'm assuming similar inspired fraction of He vs N2. I've found when thinking about this issue that it's worth comparing heliox to nitrox (e.g., 12/88 vs 12/0) as this avoids the "mixing" complication within a given compartment.)

I think the primary issue is actually that for half-times under 30 minutes, the M-values for a given half-time are simply lower for He, mandating a deeper stop. There was a recent thread discussing Powell's statement that there is a reversal in deco "efficiency" for longer dives.
2.) Powell's book, the chapter about Trimix decompression.
The general rule of thumb states that for dives <2 hours traditional deco models produce a longer deco time when using helium.
"For dives with a bottom time of less than 2 hours the progression is: Nitrox > Air > Trimix > Heliox"

That part I understand. What I don't understand is the progression of deco times if the bottom time happens to be >2 hours.
"As the bottom time reaches 2 hours the overall decompression time converges and then for dives over 2 hours bottom time the order is reversed with helium based mixtures giving shorter overall decompression time: Heliox > Trimix > Air > Nitrox"

IMO, this is why:
1667070815407.png

The deeper and longer stops for He (when the sub-30 min compartments are dominating) result in more on-gassing by slower tissues. This is the oft-discussed "deep stop" issue in a different guise. The "helium penalty" is the additional time to off-gas from the next few slower tissues (below the initial controlling tissue), as each eventually becomes the limiting factor.

A bounce diver’s decompression requirements depend solely upon the time, depth and level of oxygen (PO2) over the course of the dive regardless of the fraction of helium and or nitrogen used in the breathing mix. In other words the so-called “helium penalty,” i.e. the extra stops and decompression time required when breathing helium mixes on a surface-to-surface bounce dive, does not exist.​

the extra stops and decompression time required when breathing helium mixes on a surface-to-surface bounce dive, does not exist.
Right, that was the conclusion of the study for that one particular profile. Raising the Buhlmann M-values for helium (or pretending it's all nitrogen, thereby using the higher nitrogen-based values) would eliminate the penalty. However, I'm not inclined to test the applicability to other profiles myself.

I'm also curious how the original helium M-values were selected. Why are they lower than the nitrogen value for the faster tissues? I might guess extrapolated from N2, but it's not linear, which seems to rule out something simple like solubility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom